help please

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Betty--

Sorry, I haven't fully read this thread before. My own chest discomfort is similar to yours. I get focused pain down around the bottom of my pec muscle, right where a man's nipple is, and sometimes I also feel like there's a somewhat-tight rope around the area where my diaphragm is.

I have two issues, and either of them could be causing my problems. I have a slightly-bulging disc at C7/T1, and I also have mild thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS). It's most likely the latter, as when I have had physical therapy for it, the symptoms have improved.

If none of your other possibilities pan out, you might want to look into these. Both are exacerbated by stress. Tight muscles, caused by stress and the terrible postures it tends to create, can compress the neck and cause a bulging disc to get worse, and they can also pull up on the first rib and cause the pinching of nerves and blood vessels between it and the collarbone that is called TOS. That's why benzos and antidepressants will reduce symptoms.

I think I mentioned 'globus' to you before. I get the lump in the throat, too. I have chronic reflux, and there's a pretty strong 1:1 correspondence between eating too soon before bed and getting the lump. If you eat within 3-4 hours of bedtime, try avoiding it for a while and see if it helps. Also take the common advice of raising the head of your bed 8-12 inches. The esophagus really, really does not like having food in it, especially for 8 hours a day, and it lets you know. The vocal chords can spasm in response, too.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

HeatherB

Post by HeatherB »

Polar bear, has you doctor checked you for a hiatal hernia, or god for bid, esophageal cancer? I don't want to scare you, but they do sound like a possibility to me. My dad had both with a lot of the same symptoms you seem to have.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Aiken and Heather.

I am awaiting an appointment for an endoscope which should show up a hiatus hernia or anything sinister going on. And Heather, you are correct, of course cancer is there in the back of the mind, its what everyone fears and what we all think of first. If the scope rules out anything sinister then I reckon my stress levels will drop big time.

With regards to the hiatus hernia/reflux etc. I'm not so sure cos I don't have any heartburn, and mealtimes don't appear to make any difference one way or the other. The slightest sensation when swallowing.... that I hadn't really noticed much till doc asked about it. Oh... that is... except for boiled rice, always had a problem with the first mouthful of boiled rice, then ok, no diffs with fried rice. The feeling is just constant. Tho I have been keeping a record for a few days of meds taken and discomfort on a scale of 1 - 10.

The losec doesn't appear to make much of a difference so does that rule out reflux???

5mg diazepam seems to give quite good relief for about 5 hours - so what does that mean - does that point to stress related. But can't keep taking that all the time, or would prefer not to. So far take it once a day, but not every day.

Also, Aiken, my shoulders/back of neck do ache a lot, have done on and off for years, but more so now, and when in work then after a couple of hours there is a particular spot that is particularly sore , high up just left of spine, but ok at the weekend. (except when ironing) Could be a posture/computer issue.

Who knows ??
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Aiken, just wondering if you can have 'globus' without heartburn.

Tight muscles...

Thing is, just about everything seems to apply to me at the moment.

I took 2.5 mg diaz, which hadn't helped after 90 minutes, so took the other 2.5mg. None of it made much difference. Maybe it takes the 5mg at once to be effective.

The background worry doesn't help.

Thanks you guys,
sorry, I reckon I have gone off rls a bit in this thread
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Polar Bear wrote:Hi Aiken, just wondering if you can have 'globus' without heartburn

I don't know a lot about it other than for reflux, but I'm pretty sure I've read that there are indeed other causes.

Actually, I think I read once that a forward-bulging cervical disc can cause it. It can basically protrude right into the back of your throat, since the back of your throat is right up against your vertebral bodies. If you've ever had a small bit of food stuck in your throat, you'll know it wouldn't take much irritation to produce the feeling.

If you can't find anything else, it's definitely something to look into.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

HeatherB

Post by HeatherB »

Polar Bear, I hope the endoscope shows nothing bad. I will be keeping you in my thoughts! Good thought for you!