Doctor

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
sophia398

Doctor

Post by sophia398 »

Hello!

I have mentioned in the past to my GP that I have RLS. She wrote it down in her little file for me and then did nothing else. I have a new doctor now and have not mentioned it to him. I don't want him thinking that I'm a hypochondriac and I don't want him just to blow me off. What I really want is to speak to someone who will listen to me and help me as best as he/she possibly can. I've started taking Iron pills because the last time I gave blood to the Red Cross, they almost did not let me give (I was the lowest number allowed). I've heard and read that this is supposed to help with RLS, but just in case it doesn't and I need something more, I want to know that I can talk to someone who will help me. So, does anyone know any doctors in the Buffalo, NY area? Thanks!

becat

Welcome to the club

Post by becat »

Hi Sophia,
You came to the right place, we love to talk about RLS......LOL ok, really we're all seeking to educate others and ourselves here.
I'm listing a couple of links below to help you get a good start. The first is a health care provider list of doctors that this foundation sees as knowledgeable about RLS.
http://rls.org/provider_directory/

It runs by states. Most people have had good luck with neurologist and sleep medicine types.
The second link is for a guide, of sorts.....for now, to the diagnosis and treatment of RLS. You can print a copy for yourself and your doctor.

http://www.mayo.edu/proceedings/2004/jul/7907crc.pdf

This RLS Algorithum is from the Mayo Clinc. If it does come up on the page just type it into the search box in the upper right hand corner.

About the blood donation, this is a wonderful thing to share with others, but it is not good for you. I don't like it either, a long time donor myself, just not anymore. It's too much of a stress on your iron levels. Your serium ferritin level should be 50 mcg/L if you suffer from RLS. However, taking iron is not always the answer. WE MAY NOT use iron in the same way as the others without RLS OR we may not get enough. It's a question the researchers are working on. You should try everything non-pharm first, taking vitamins and supplements can surely help many. The NON-Pharm section here is really loaded with good ideas.
Your best defense with this disorder is to educate yourself well. We share many thoughts and ideas, what works for us what doesn't, support and listen around here. Your in great company. So many of us have had the same problem with doctors listening and believing. DON'T GIVE IN JUST YET. Your not crazy or making up things that aren't there. RLS is real and can become a torture in our lives. There are people here from every level of this disorder.
WE stick together and will listen and be here for you.
Don't expect that there is one treatment for all of us. Every one of us is different. It's truely a matter of trial and error sometimes with a fix for RLS. So far there is no cure. But we have tons of hope.
I'm sorry you had to find us, but we're glad your here now. Look forward to hearing from you again.
Welcome.