RLS before teenage :(

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
RLS-89

RLS before teenage :(

Post by RLS-89 »

I know that most people here are atleast 20 years old and suffering from RLS and I feel sorry for you, but in my case belive it or not i have suffered from RLS since I was six years old! I know that most of you most likely will think me only as some kid with growing pain (I'm fifteen) but I do have a diagnosis of RLS and I think it's the worst possible kind. Every night AND DAY i suffer from excruciating pain in my legs and ever since i was six and it hasn't left me apart from the few hours/minutes of the morning . I think my life is one big hell. I don't even remember a time when it didn't hurt and now i can't do anything. It hurts when i go to school, it hurts when i do my homework and it hurts when i go to sleep, but the worst part is that no one doesn't understand me. No one. Now i'm not actually sure why i posted this. Maybe I had to "talk" to someone that understands me or maybe it's because I'm so scared. I know that RLS gets worse when you get older and since it already is destroing me I can't bare the thought of how much it will hurt when I'm 20 or 30 if will live that long. Every night I consider taking a powerdrill and drilling a hole in my legs so i wouldn't have to feel this pain. Now please if you can give me any advice or atleast tell me am I the only one this young with this kinda pain? I would be very happy. Thank you.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Dear RLS89, I'm glad you found us. Many of us here had RLS as children. Becat will be along shortly; she has had it all her life. I am luckier; mine didn't start until I was about 13 or 14. In the last few months, several parents have written here talking about their babies or young children that have RLS. You are in the right community. We do understand. We do care. We may even have some helpful information. We will listen. We're not doctors, but people, like you, that suffer from this disorder.

Some of us have the 'painful' kind, some of us do not. Many people here have the painful kind. Many of us have not been heard or listened to by the medical community. That you have a diagnosis seems to be a good thing. At least some medical person(s) is hearing you to some extent.

If you stay and read our stories, you may find hope. You may also find sadness, anger, fear, courage, determination, and the capacity for caring for others that is unparalled in many places. I'm humbled to be part of this community. I hope you stay. Listen. Learn. Share. Ask questions. We'll be here all the way.

Regards,
Ann
(in many inches of snow in Chicago, IL, having made the last flight out of Seattle to come home yesterday as the storm started to hit)

becat

Your not alone anymore

Post by becat »

WEll, my dear your not alone.
Just so you know, I'm 41, a mom of two 17 yr. old boys. One of which I pasted RLS to. He is a mild form, thankfully.
I have probably had RLS since birth, no I don't remember it back that far......but it is my first memory. I too suffer horrible pain with mine. I honestly can't tell you how I made it. Just did. Back in the old days they never did much for pain or anything else they couldn't prove with an exray or bloodwork.....My family did vitamins, supplements, massage...,etc, stuff like that. Much of it did not help as I started out severe. Sounds like your there too, I'm so sorry for that.
I'm nut sure how they treat someone as young as yourself. Being that your still growing the options might be limited. I hope your mom knows that she can come in here too and read the board. Maybe it would help for her to understand that there are may of us out here.
I'm sure you feel strange about being with all of us OLD FOLKS....but think about this. We have had people here with children that are, what?, 3 and another 7 yrs. old. Your really not the only one that understands how it is live with this.
Your in the right place............You'll have others to talk to here as well.
Glad you found us.
Take care.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Welcome 89--

So sorry to hear that you're suffering so much at such a young age! Of course we believe the pain you're in-- and WE know it's not "just growing pains". :!:

I know I had RLS in my teens, but a milder form than yours. I am pretty sure I had it younger, but at the time no one thought anything about it. I think, like others here who I'm sure will share their stories, that my mom just thought I was being fidgety and annoying-- even I never imagined that there was a name for the discomfort I was in, until a few years ago when I happened to hear the name "restless leg syndrome", and I knew right away, that was what I'd had all these years.

Like Becat, I'm a grown woman (39) with a couple of sons of my own, and one of mine obviously has RLS, too. He's 12, and his is relatively mild, too, thankfully, like Becat's son. But I'm glad that at least I KNOW what it is, and I can try to help him cope with it for now, while it's mild. And if it ever gets worse, I will know more than my parents did about ways he can get help. (I also never scold him anymore for being wiggly or fidgety. :wink: )

I feel for your situation, but I'm glad that at least you HAVE been diagnosed. MANY people here suffered like you did without diagnosis for a long time, and at least once you're diagnosed you have a BETTER chance of getting the best possible treatment and support.

I'm so glad that you did post here with us, and I hope that you will find help and support here that will make life easier for you.

Try to take good care of yourself.

Sara

RLS-89

Post by RLS-89 »

I know that I have never been a man/boy for big words, but I do know whats in my heart and when I now say THANK YOU it truly comes from the heart. To be honest you three who posted your messages here were the first ones who talked to me like that. This was the first time I have recived any compassion or sympathy from anyone ever about my discomfort. And it means a lot to me. The teens of this world can be pretty cruel towards people with disorder they don't understand. Now I would like to say one more time Thank You.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Listen, 89--

It's not only teenagers who can be cruel and unfeeling about things they don't understand (though, you're right, they can be pretty awful.) I've had plenty of fellow "grown-ups" look at me like I was either nuts, a hypochondriac, or just a wimp when they've heard about my RLS.

My sister-in-law (a very nice person, but someone who likes to deal with physical, tangible, measureable things) gave her husband (who also has milder RLS like me) and I the MOST unbelieving looks, as if to say, "What's the big deal?" the first time he and I realized we'd both been suffering with this in silence.

Even my husband, love of my life since I was your age, once said, very flippantly, "Well, EVERYONE gets jumpy feet at night." <Sigh> NO, everyone DOESN'T... but I'm beginning to wonder if HE does have RLS and/or PLMD (the leg jerking part), too.

It's human nature to sometimes discount what we can't see or feel... but it doesn't make it any EASIER if YOU are the one who's suffering from something no one else can see or feel. ANY chronic illness is difficult. It really wears on you, and usually it's hard for others to understand.

But when I was your age, I realized I had another chronic disease, and I took myself for help when my parents wouldn't. I think that was one of the first times I realized that I could CHOOSE how I was going to live out my life. It was a turning point in my life, though it took years to really get a handle on that illness.

It seems to me that you've done the same thing by coming in here and posting so honestly to a bunch of international strangers. You have guts, and you must have determination. It's EASIER to feel sorry for yourself than to reach out and try to find a way to deal with whatever's going on. I say, "Good for you"... and also thank YOU for sharing with US.

Take good care.

Sara :D

Leonne

RLS. young age

Post by Leonne »

I feel your pain With my RLS I don't have pain however. I believe I had it at 5 when I started school. My feet would not remain still (they still don't, even with meds.).

Nobody knew what it was, I was just ordered to stop kicking, (impossible even today). We learned how to cover so we didn't look stupid (silly). I found dating, church, school and movies real trials. Sleep is my worst enemy. When I get a little bit tired, it takes heavy drugs to make sleep.

I have several grandchildren (yes I'm 68 years old) with this, some have pain, and some don't. A good hot bath helps. A good rub down sometimes helps. I have hot feet with it, so cold water or even ice helps. Make up your mind that can live with it. Our hope is that some day soon a cure will be found.

You can beat it.

slyemm

Post by slyemm »

I want to chime in with the "Me Too" crowd. I remember having jumpy legs from...... well I can't remember not having it! I remember very little of my childhood though. But I suspect it's always been there. Thankfully I have no pain - although after spending all last night reading through the reams of posts from everybody (there are 4499 postst here to wade through!) I'm wondering if my aching back is related more to rls than arthritis. I'm not sure really. In many ways it would be a blessing if it did as I'm only 38 and I've been taking celebrex daily for a couple of years now and there's been recent negative publicity about it so I'd be much happier not taking it! In fact I ran out and haven't renewed the script yet - to see how I go without it. Of course without it I have such an aching back that I don't sleep at all. And then I get exceptionally tired and start replying to other people's topics with long rambling responses about me ....

So no - you're not alone! And it's a wonderful feeling to discover you're not alone. My ten year old son definitely has this condition - in my opinion - but has no pain or sleep issues at this point in time so I wouldn't even consider medication for him. But I empathise with him totally!

Arm yourself with lots of information and educate those that are closest to you. The internet is an amazing resource and a wonderful way to fill in time at 4am .... Knowledge is power :-)

Take care,
Simone

becat

awwww the love of the Me toos

Post by becat »

Simone I love that "the me too group". Yup that's us, but it truely is how we learn around here. You just never know what sparks a good conversation.
I knew that RLS89 would get a good response from this group. Many of us have been there and totally understand. I'm glad we're all about ralling around him and showing him.......it's ok to be this way, there's tons of us out here doing the same thing. The good is not in the RLS, but in the people here you'll share it with.

Look at the group of people here already, WOW did I really see Leonne's name......welcome back around there.
Simone is one of our newest. Surely to become one of the family in no time. Wait, already done! Sara and View, well tops on our list around here.
RLS89 you've got the most caring group of people now. No excuse for not letting us help where we can. Sounds like you have found a home as well.
WE are a proactive group. Yes, we think we can help steer the ship and we do. This is not a place where your different, your younger, but your normal here baby.
Now I've got a question for you. We are doing a couple of projects around here on our own. One is an online survey that Jumpyowl is working on. He's a very smart man, suffers with RLS, and is here to educate himself and others. You could fill out a survey if you'd like.
The other thing we are working on is a Quality of life statement. I must admit I'd be interested to have one from you. Your age and your statement could speak volumes for other kids that haven't found us or can't describe it well enough to get help. If you would like all it is, is a statement in your own words that tells others what it is like to live with RLS. The real stuff, the day to day things. Doesn't matter how long or short it is, or how you write it.
These statements are all combined and then we make sure that the keynote spearkers and other RLS foundation heads are given them together as a packet............it's about putting a face to RLS. The real story. All of the statements are different in details but all the same in many ways. The biggest is, RLS effects us and those around us. We are also using them this FEb. for the Down Under group as they will be meeting with the government heads that decide on medications, costs, and availabity. So your statement could help someone in a different part of the world as well as here.
You can Private Message me here on the site or email it to me at rlsbecat@yahoo.com.
I'm so glad you found us. Everyone is right, not alone now .....are ya?
hugs to all

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Hey 89!!!!!WELCOME !!!!! Im Lyndarae and Im very glad that you have found your way here you are in good hands. You said you are a 15 year old boy/man. Well in my eyes you are 100% man. It takes a real man to ask for help and that is what you have done and what you will get. Sometimes tears are our best medication around here. Just to be able to talk to someone who understands what Im talking about brings me to tears. I do hope you will feel comfortable enough to share this forum with your parents so they can read and learn as much as possible about what you have been going through.

You are not alone anymore come here any time good or bad early or late and you will find someone to talk to. But I do need to warn you there are alot of us who are huggy bears so expect to get alot of compassion, love and understanding from our family.

This syndrome has been h*** on earth for me! I have lost alot of things in my life because of it but I also found myself because of it. You are about to get educated about rls and that is going to change how you live your life with it. So again Welcome home and I hope to get to know you better you take care ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

Post by Guest »

Thanks again for the warm welcomes. But now I have two moral/legal questions.

1. Since I suffer from painful RLS every night and day and when I sleep I sleep very poorly. So do you think legally/morally I have the right to miss some of my school days/hours. I mean that if some night I get to sleep only 3-5 hours (5 hours a night is pretty common for me) and I am extremely tired. Do I have the right to not to go to school, but to stay at home and sleep?

2. Since I suffer from painful RLS every night and day and when I sleep I sleep very poorly. So do you think legally/morally my grades should be valued the same way as those who can sleep in peace and won't suffer from leg pain while studing or should the teachers over look some of my missed homework because I was so tired and since i suffer from pain all time and while i'm studing the RLS really prevents me from learning at my best?

Thank You. I probaply have many more questions but this one was fisrt in my mind.

RLS-89

Post by RLS-89 »

Note that "Guest" reply was me. I forgot to login and well that happend. So the Guest with two questions was me!!!

hismusic

I'm proud of you, RLS-89

Post by hismusic »

How I wish children and young adults could be spared pain and heartache of any kind. It seems to me that maturity makes everything so much easier to bear. But then, pain and heartache seem to mature the young in some mysterious fashion. I’m proud of you, RLS-89. You are facing the monster of pain, and yet it sounds as if you trying are trying to have as normal a life as possible. You go to school, complete obligations such as homework, cruise the Internet and most importantly, you are learning that you can control your own life. You, … not RLS. You are suggesting from your questions that there are choices you can make: school vs sleep, or doing homework when you are tired, etc. Choices indicate you have the control.

The perfect world would allow us to factor in illness or personal circumstances when measuring people against the “accepted standard” at work or play. Ah, the perfect world. But, unless the problem is a prominent one, (like you are blind, have had a limb amputated or are in a wheelchair) the vast majority of people in this world expect us to all be living on an even playing field. Mental illness, tenacious physical pain, and cognitive or reasoning impairments are all hidden problems that the world doesn’t usually make allowances for. I’m sorry. Sorry you have to endure RLS pain. Sorry you feel (erroneously) that you are alone in suffering from RLS. Sorry that with all the normal struggles of becoming an adult you have to factor in all the areas of life that RLS touches.

But, RLS-89, don’t limit yourself. Don’t start making excuses and give yourself permission to be less than you can be. What it really comes down to is not what is legally/morally right concerning going to school or doing homework. But, what choice do you want to make for yourself? You can meet the challenge better than you think. I know because you have managed to make it to 15 without using the drill. :wink:

So, what shall you do? Ask your doctor to write a brief explanation of what your diagnosis of RLS means. Ask your parents to request an appointment with school officials/teachers. Discuss at the meeting how RLS affects your study habits, your ability to concentrate, and medication side effects. It may not do any good, but then it might. At the very least, it will allow you to regain some control, answer questions for teachers, and educate others concerning RLS (it is doubtful you are the only student with this problem).

As for valuing your grades unequally with others; why should RLS make your efforts less valuable? You are obviously bright. What if you do better than someone else? Should someone having an alcoholic-based home life - that makes it hard to study, too - raise his or her grade? Or should the dyslectic student be given extra points because they transposed numbers on a test? Think about what you are asking. Think about what it implies. And then pat yourself on the back for surviving thus far. Set high goals for yourself, and strive to meet them. Failing is not shameful, but failing to try is.

Please consider keeping a journal (maybe even an audio one where you tape your entries) and writing the quality of life statement. Seeing what you have accomplished at the tender ages of 6 – 15 will no doubt surprise you. Your courageous example of trying to have as normal a life as possible is admirable; and the resolute determination to be the best you can be, are strong personal qualities for any man to possess.

May God bless and heal you, or at least make it manageable.
Sherry
When despair comes, look to God. Stand in His power. For someday you will be healed for eternity in His love and grace. When you are sick or in pain think about that day, when Jesus returns and makes us totally well in body, mind, and spirit. Hope!

SUGAR

hi to you

Post by SUGAR »

I know exactly how you feel. I just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one that just wants to stay in bed after a bad nights sleep. I feel like that every day. But you can't give in to it. I know I feel better knowing that I got up, went to work, went to school and took care of my kids. That is a major battle for me believe me. I am going to school for Nursing and trust me it's not easy. I have to take classes over and over because I thought I was just stupid. But now thanks to this group, I know it's not my fault. My memory is just horrible from not having any sleep. But I will not give up or give in. You just have to pull your little body out of bed and take a shower. It helps a little. :) You don't know how many times I just sit and cry while doing homework because I feel like I am not comprehending anything. Trust me we all have those days. Just don't give up.

RLS-89

Post by RLS-89 »

I think I should explain something here. Many of you seemingly have misunderstood me. Many of you said that I was "strong" because I control my life not RLS, but I'm afraid it's the other way around. For me the battle against RLS is already lost. When I was younger I used to have few friends, but now I have none and it's all because of RLS I was always just too tired to get up and do something with them and eventually I lost them, but I don't think would like any of them as friends if they can't understand me. I think that most of my personality is made by RLS. Thanks to RLS I don't drink or smoke or use illegal drugs and I think that becuse of RLS I'm a lot more caring person, but I'm also physically very weak. Thanks to RLS my I haven't been able to work out even though my physiotherapist instructed me. I also have almost non-existing back muscles. Either by birth or by RLS.

And to becats request of statement about my life with RLS. I know you asked me to sent it by email, but if it it all the same to you I rather post it here for everyone that there will be no more misunderstandings.