Biking anyone??????

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
glfngrl

Biking anyone??????

Post by glfngrl »

Hi Gang,

Don't post often, as most of you are already covering the specifics eloquently !

I do have a personal revelation that I would like to share. Little background here, if I may. Have had RLS for 47 years (first symptoms popped up during first pregnancy, so easy to keep the calendar!). Finally turned to meds about 3 years ago, as the usual strategies no longer worked, and symptoms became unbearable.

Long story short...........have been riding a recumbent tadpole trike a lot during the last month..........it has had a dramatic effect on my RLS symptoms, and I have been able to d/c my usual afternoon half-dose of Requip, plus no longer need the opiate booster that I was taking with it at night. Don't know how long this will last, but the concentrated exercise using all the long leg muscles seems to be working wonders for my symptoms. (The recumbent trike is sooooooooo comfortable, easy to ride, and great fun to boot, as well as uses the leg muscles in a different configuration from a 2-wheeler. The stationary recumbent at my gym works well when I can't ride outside, also.)

Thought I would share this for what it is worth, in case some of you would like to try it. I will be glad to share more specifics if anyone is interested.

Jane (glfngrl)
Give up is not in my vocabulary!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I hope it keeps working for you! Were you an active exerciser before? A lot of us find that "soft" exercise - swimming, biking, walking - really can help.

I don't own a car, so I either walk, ride my bike, or take public transportation when going anywhere in the city. Before injuring my knee last month, I rode my bike daily (except in inclement weather).

Over the years, I've found I need a constant level of exercise. Too much is bad, too little is equally bad. Goldilocks exercise is essential to keep the RLS at its normal level (whatever that is). But, it doesn't ever reduce it past the normal level. As that level has risen over the years, the exercise has less impact.

It sounds like you have found "exercise normal" for you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

glfngrl

Post by glfngrl »

Ann,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have been a regular exerciser since 1972. Have constantly fiddled with my programs, as I also have knee problems and back issues. I learned many years ago that I must get some sort of physical activity almost every day to keep my RLS symptoms toned down. The gym routine has helped immensely, but so far, the biking has seemed to be all I need for my legs. (I still do strength training for general health.)

The bike riding as therapy may be particular to me....who knows? Just thought I should at least mention it in a post, and hopefully others may give it a try and find some relief.

Jane (glfngrl)
Give up is not in my vocabulary!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I wonder if there is a back component involved and the recumbent helps reduce pressure on your back in some way.

Not that I believe everything I read, lol, but a chiropractor recently released a study that mentioned great success reducing RLS. I posted the study in the last week...can't remember where, but maybe in the non-pharm section?

I am skeptical that some huge portion of us would get relief this way because of the genetics involved (we all can't have developed back problems - many of us were born with this), but it surely could exacerbate those with genetic RLS.

Whatever it is, so glad it's working.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hey Jane, I'm turning green with envy over that tadpole recumbent bike! Back in college I took SCUBA diving and damaged my inner ear, and have had balance problems since. It's a long story, but I gave up biking years ago, except on the back of a tandem, but that just isn't comfortable at all. I've looked at the tadpoles and I know I could keep one upright, LOL. Oh well, we have a membership to a club with a pool, so I try to swim a few times a week, and the dogs really need their walks as well, so I probably don't really need a new bike.

But I am delighted to hear that you've found something that helps with your RLS and you're getting out there and enjoying life!
Susan

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

I would like to know more about this type of bike. After I got RLS, my regular stationary bike just made everything worse, same thing with even just going to the store and walking around in there. I do have back problems, though, that goes into my butt, legs, and feet. So, sitting on a bike seat is hard for me, and so is walking on my feet. What is the seat like on those bikes? How much room does it take up in a room, do they have some you can shove under your bed? I guess I can see if the local Y has one, so I can try it out and maybe eventually get one. Thanks for telling us about this thing. I am older and cannot go swimming or some other stuff that might work for me. So, since I like biking, I might like that kind of bike you're telling us about.