This helps for me

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
waterloo2

This helps for me

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi all

Has anyone tried a pillow underneath your knees at nightime this sure does help me alright, just a thought.

gill (UK)

Neco

Post by Neco »

Sometimes I would sleep with a pillow between my legs/knees and it would help just a little but, but not too much.

Glad that it is helping you though

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I have on occasion used a pillow, but not for rls, it would be for my hip joint which occasionally plays up and the pillow at my knee takes the pressure/angle off the hip joint.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi Betty

Im wondering if this is anything to do with my Arthiritis.
Sunday morning 4.21 still no sleep a bad night.

gill

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It is possible !!
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I sleep with a pillow under my left knee to keep pressure off of a pinched nerve. It turns out to be quite comfortable. It's a long pillow, meant to be half the width of a king size bed, I think, and I angle it from outside my left hip, under my thigh/knee, towards the right calf. It needs to be on an angle to stabilize my hip, but it also elevates the knee, which feels nice.

Sometimes I put another smaller one under the right thigh to make sort of a V shape overall:

I like it.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

HeatherB

Post by HeatherB »

I have thought about trying a pillow under my legs at night too. Thing is, it's not so comfy when you are sleeping on your side.

BTW Aiken.....great drawing!
Last edited by HeatherB on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Heh, thanks. :)

When I'm on my side, I just put the bottom leg under the pillow. I like having a pillow between my knees anyway.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

zookeeper

Post by zookeeper »

Hehe...love the drawing, Aiken. I use a pillow, too... a small one folded in half between my knees since I sleep on my side. I've even perfected rolling over with the pillow in p[lace. It's mostly for my back but can help the RLS when I lay on the most affected side. I usually lose it before moring and one of the cats takes it over...lol. Ya don't suppose having 3 cats in bed disturbs my sleep, do ya? :shock:

Momo

Post by Momo »

i tend to sleep either with a pillow under or between my knees (depending what position i am in.

yea, three cats would disturb me, i cant even sleep with one cat on my bed

Aiken, nice drawing. :D
Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.

becat

Post by becat »

See I think this is interesting.

I hate for my knees to touch, skin to skin. Pressure or not, even paper would give my brain a break about them touching.

I thought it was my problem or my family for the longest time, but having been around here for 4+ yrs, it's not just me or mine.

Even my sister in law (also has genetic RLS) has slept with the same tiny pillow just for her knees. Meaning that she keeps them apart and sleeps on her side.

I tend to keep one foot out of the blankets, no matter what the weather is and use the covers to separate my knees.

Aiken I have to second on the drawing, uhmmmm, lol, cute. LOL

I'm not happy that I share this problem, but it's always nice to know that others understand.

Lynne

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Aiken, your drawing is just too cute. You inspired me to make my own, even though I'm not very good with computer graphics programs, LOL. But it takes a picture to explain how I sleep with a 100 pound dog in the same bed. And I probably should have increased the size of the dog. Yup, I have to have the pillow under the knees or between the knees. My dh? Upstairs snoring in his own bed.

Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Susan--

My wife said, "Awwww," when she saw the dog. :)

I actually use that position too sometimes. Sort of lying on my back but with my legs off to the side, pillow between. That works well too.

Lynne--

I don't like my knees touching either. It's not nails on a blackboard, but I don't like the feeling. Not sure why. It might be because skin on skin is hot and I'm already too hot most of the time. I've always put a pillow or a fold of the covers between them, even long before I had any health problems.

HeatherB

Post by HeatherB »

This has to be an RLS thing. I can't stand having my knees touching either. I don't think it helps I have boney knees and torn ligaments and tendons in my knees either!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I don't like them to touch either, but for me it's a skin thing. I don't sleep with long pants or a nightie that is long, so there is only skin to touch skin. That's an RLS trigger for sure and has been for many years. Now I'm so used to sleeping this way it's just plain weird not to.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.