Muscle relaxants

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
snowbound

Muscle relaxants

Post by snowbound »

Hi all,

i may have to start taking a muscle relaxant soon for a levator problem. I'm not sure what my doctor will prescribe. Maybe flexeril or something like that.

Has anyone here had experience with prescribed muscle relaxant meds? Why i ask is i'm concerned how my RLS will react to these medications.
A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one. ~ J. Pierpoint Morgan

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

hi s, I used both flexeril and skelaxin. Both we ok for about two nights and I actually felt the rls was better. But after that the rls really notched up. Good news is that once I stopped the relaxants the rls also went back to normal. Now your experience might be different and you may actually get some prolonged relief or additional relief from your rls as well. Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes,

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

Thanks,

i will be sure to post what and if the doctor prescribes. Anytime i start any new meds for other ailments i'm always very worried how the RLS will react. Treating one issue and possibly aggravating another is very frustrating to say the least...
A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one. ~ J. Pierpoint Morgan

zookeeper

Post by zookeeper »

I take Soma every night to help my back ease up and it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on the RLS. It doesn't leave me groggy in the morning like Flexoril does either. So if one type of muscle relaxant doesn't work, there are others you can try.
Go quietly amidst the noise and haste.

pamndorr

Post by pamndorr »

Hi, I took Flexeril 10mg for about 1 week, didn't help at all, the RLS won. So far I haven't found anything that helps except exhaustion.
Good Luck I hope it works better for you.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I use skelaxin once in a while and haven't noticed anything bad. Thing is, it really is infrequent, and since I already take opioids in the evenings, I've never taken it close to bedtime, so I dunno really.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

Thanks all,

i went to see the doctor yesterday. There are a number of issues medical wise needing to be treated. One is an over active bladder. He prescribed Detrol LA 4mg's for this. He wants me to hold off on the muscle relaxers as he said Detrol relaxes the bladder and my aid in doing the same thing to the levator muscle. We shall see.

Anyone here taking Detrol LA? If so, any issues with this drug and your RLS?

Thanks.

slee

Post by slee »

I was on Detrol for a short time. It drove my legs crazy. Afterwards I found out it was on the list of meds to avoid.

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

Thanks ~sigh~

I started the Detrol today so i'll see how it goes..

Could u post a link to this list of meds to avoid? I did a search but can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

slee

Post by slee »

It's at

http://www.rlshelp.org/

but only says, bladder control drugs. I can't remember specifically where I found the info with the med name. Sorry.

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

Thanks again and bookmarked.

skn0412

Post by skn0412 »

I used both flexeril and skelaxin; I was just prescribed Robaxin on Monday after being off meds for several months (the Skelaxin Rx ran out when I moved). So far so good, but its only been three nights..... we shall see, but for now I am sleeping and my legs aren't jumping all over the bed and I don't feel like I need to break my arms ! (I have RLS in my arms as well.)

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

snowbound--

Just curious... which levator muscle are you having trouble with? There are quite a few all over the body.

(I have trouble with one of them myself, deep in my pelvis. Can be quite painful.)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

i can't take flexeril makes my legs and arms go crazy with pain...some muscle relaxers help somewhat, but not for the most part.

my theory...pain should be treated with pain med. call me crazy
:shock:
d
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

Aiken wrote:snowbound--

Just curious... which levator muscle are you having trouble with? There are quite a few all over the body.

(I have trouble with one of them myself, deep in my pelvis. Can be quite painful.)

Levator ani. I think u are speaking of the same? The doctors aren't sure yet but i'ts one of the possibilities.

I have had massive pressure like sensations and dull pain in my rectum off and on for 3 years now but for the last 6 weeks it's been really bad rarely letting up especially the last three days which have been exscruciating....