New Member with a Question

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
FormerMermaid

New Member with a Question

Post by FormerMermaid »

Hello everyone, I have had RLS on and off since I was a teen, I'm 49 now. It seems to settle down for a while and then flare, sometimes I can figure out the cause, e.g. I now know SSRIs cause my RLS to act up. Currently I am taking Wellbutrin, Methotrexate weekly for my rheumatoid arthritis, Prevacid, and Ambien. I'm also on HRT. My problem is that the RLS seems to strike before I actually go to bed, for example last night we went to a movie and I was miserable for the entire second hour, my right leg was going nuts and I was pounding on it and jiggling it, you know how that goes. My spouse felt bad because he knew I was uncomfortable but OTOH he really wanted to see the movie. By the time we got home and got to bed the RLS had calmed down. This is my usually pattern. On the nights when the legs continue to act up in bed, the ambien lets me fall asleep in spite of them, but I can't take that when I'm going to a movie, obviously. So my question is, is there any medication that can be taken on a preventive, as needed basis, for those times like last night when there's a good chance the RLS will strike when I'm in a situation where I can't just get up and run around for a while? I don't really want to add another daily med to the mix. Does anyone else get the worst effects of their RLS around 9 or 10 pm, before going to bed?
Thanks and best wishes.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Welcome formermermaid.

Yep, lots of people's RLS is like yours. My sister's and my mom's for two. And others here, too.

Sinemet is wonderful, according to the RLS docs, for occasional use, just like you describe. It's just NOT good for daily use. It works very quickly, too, which is a benefit.

My whole family can, or could at some point, go to sleep with RLS. If I had it, I could do some stretches and it would stop and I'd go to sleep. My sister, when it acts up around 10 PM, just says, nightie-night and she's fine.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

yep siniment is good for occasional use, i was on it for a couple years till it started augmenting on me....now on mirapex. u r lucky the ambien helps u sleep....i can't take ambien has reverse affect on me and my rls pain is 24 7....i am just lucky i have a dr who knows something about rls. goodluck and welcome to the board.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945