Moving out of habit?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
HeatherB

Moving out of habit?

Post by HeatherB »

I have been sitting here reading through posts and I just realized I was swinging my legs. Something I used to do to keep the creepy crawly's at bay. I haven't had any symptoms in a little over 2 months. Now I find myself swinging my legs as I sit here. Subconscious reaction to the rls before I consciously realize I'm having symptoms, or habit? I don't know.
Anyway the point of the post......
Is there anyone out there who has been symptom free for a while and find themselves do what they used to do to keep the rls at bay just out of habit?

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Yes, I do this routinely. While my leg bouncing/wiggling really is usually to keep the RLS at bay, I often catch myself still doing it after the meds have kicked in. I stop, and realize I'm fine holding still. In fact, I'm considerably more comfortable once I stop doing it unnecessarily. I always feel a little embarrassed. :)

I also do it during the daytime when sitting at a desk, but I've always done that and I think it's more of a nervous habit than anything to do with RLS, since I don't have daytime RLS.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

HeatherB

Post by HeatherB »

I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I have rls 24/7. Well, I did before the meds!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Funny, I was just doing it right now and I think the meds are working fine and I should just go to sleep. I guess I'll find out when I go up to bed in a few minutes.

But, I do think that the majority of the time, for me, it is a subconscious precursor to RLS. It's like I can feel some subclinical symptoms as a cellular level that I don't really recognize.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I constantly pace when I am up and about, or standing over the stove smoking. Although I have always been a nervous pacer since childhood, the RLS definitely magnified the behavior.

in bed my legs sometimes kick in too, out of some weird habbit

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Dear Views,
Something you said there, about the subconscious picking up on the RLS, gosh that reminds me of the overall "feeling" about it. Just before my legs start to seize up, I get this uncomfortable thought or feeling that I'm about to lose control over my body. I don't like it. It's a bad thing. It's sort of like I'm about to lose my breath. Now, after the legs get going and when I wiggle and stretch and go bonkers, it's the most exasperating thing, trying to make it stop and all, but you can't. But yeah, that lightbulb goes off in the head just before RLS settles in.
GG

HeatherB

Post by HeatherB »

I couldn't have said it better myself. I had symptoms last night for the first time in weeks. I knew it was going to happen. Sure enough I had some sharp tingles followed by a kick. 3 of them. I also woke up 2 times early this morning. Whether it was the RLS or the cat who wouldn't shut up, I don't know!
I really only find myself doing the subconscious moving while sitting at the computer desk. I will just have to train myself not to do it I guess!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I know that there is a real subtle difference for me - the jiggling vs the RLS prescience.

I tend to do more "feet winding" - rolling them around and stretching me feet and legs - with the "RLS is coming soon" feeling than with the "I'm nervous or scattered or wound up" feeling.

But, both, to me are related in the sense that it's a sense of anxiety that causes me to be doing something other than sitting still.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.