Help your doctor earn CMEs

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Help your doctor earn CMEs

Post by ViewsAskew »

What a great way to teach your doctor more about RLS and have him or her earn CMEs at the same time.

http://legdisorders.org/

This site has a program about recognizing different disorders of the leg and the docs taking it can earn a bunch of CMEs.

It's a great thing to tell your doc - he or she will love the opportunity to get CMEs and then you'll know he or she will be able to treat you better 8)
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

becat

Post by becat »

Ann, might I add that the case study they use for this course needs to be a bit more explained to your docs.

If they are going to watch this at some point they will show a video of a man (with night vision, like in a sleep study camera) that is trying to get comfy enough to fall off to sleep.

Now having been at one of these with this video playing I was a bit shocked at the people's reactions to what they saw.

Anyway, at some point the man can not get comfy and pulls out what looks to be a cut off handle of a broom, and begins to whack his legs with a steady thump. I started to tear up, knowing full well how he felt, just wanting to sleep.

To my great shock, they all (RNs and PAs) started to laugh. :shock: :evil: :?

I asked the presenter after if this was a normal reaction (from the crowd) when this video was shown. The answer was yes, most of the time.

And we wonder why they don't take this seriously?

I did get the chance to give feedback, and I asked that that should have been a "moment" for the presenter to TEACH the masses that come for CMECs (continuing medical education credits) that RLS can be that serious for someone to deal with.
That at that point the presenter should have stopped the video and taught them about what lengths we might go to for rest.

In any other form that would be seen as self injury, wouldn't it? Thus taking it a bit more seriously, if only they understood.

So Yes, tell your docs about it, but add that it's really not that funny at all.
Lynne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Speaking of CMEs, I was emailing with Dr Buchfurer, asking about CMEs. He said there were quite a few CME courses for RLS out there.

That is a great opportunity for each of us. How about we find as many as we can, create a list, and then email or fax them now or take the list to our doctors (any doctor we have) the next time we see them. My doctor even asked if CMEs were available.

Here is a listthat Dr Buchfurer sent to me. It's a great starting point. I wonder how many more are out there? And, I wonder if the doctors know anything about them? And, I wonder what role the Foundation might be able to play in assisting with getting this info out to the docs (and maybe they already do).

They need CMEs. This is a great way to help them learn more about RLS.

Next on my list, when I someone get my brain back and don't need 12 hours of sleep to be functional, is to review all CMEs and determine if they are adequate or if we need better ones. If we need additional or better ones, then we can start asking universities to assist in creating them.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.