Is it the stress in my life?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
moonlight

Is it the stress in my life?

Post by moonlight »

I don't know if it's the stress i'm under just now or not but my RLS has been reaching new heights recently ...i go for days without....the acupuncture seems to be helping ..then wham!!!! it hits with a pain so intense it brings tears.

The need to move unbearable and the movement doing no good, still the pain rages and rages....eventually i take codeine as a last resort to get relief.....the next day and for several after i can feel the pain in my muscles even to touch .

I hope this isn't the RLS changing in some way.
I find when I'm driving it gets wild and when I'm siting relaxing ...ha ha ...all of a sudden the pain hits , literally making me jump up...never before has the pain been in this way.

Am I the only one who gets it like this or are others suffering in this crazy way?

huggles
moonlight xxx
sleep is not only a dream

HeatherB

Post by HeatherB »

I have been basically symptom free for a few months now. The only time the RLS has flared is when I have been stressed or not feeling good. So no, you are not the only one.

pedrime

Post by pedrime »

I always find that more stress = more RLS. The most peaceful, spiritual, prayerful months of my life were the 'best' for my RLS.

But gee, it's hard to 'get rid of stress' when you're already completely overwhelmed and miserable. Good luck to you --I'm sorry you're suffering.

Meg

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hey Moonlight

Yes, unfortunately dear ol stress is one of our worst enemies.

It is especially harder to control your RLS once you are under stress and are unable to find a solution to the stress.

I've been in situations where i've been so stressed I just ask for a chainsaw (neva get one!) for my legs. So I resort to taking things that are in my "backup box"; eg extra codeine, ropinirole, or levodopa/benserazide (soluble). If I can get one or two of them into me on top of my usual daily stuff (I ALWAYS record any extra things I take in a diary) then I can start to get in under control.

If those don't work, I try other things, usually straight from The RLS Rebels list of ideas (you're a legend Gill!). Massage helps; take some time out and go to a park or the beach or a lake. A long soak in the bath with some good essential oils. Meditation (if you can handle it) also works. If you know of a good New Age shop near where you live, go and see if they have meditation sessions, or see if they can do one on one. You never know unless you try!

Whatever IS stressing you out right now, you need to get away from it before your body shuts down on you and screams STOP! If it's work, tell your boss, or your boss's boss, just go up the chain. If they don't listen, walking out without a word will always make them sit up and take notice lol.

Most importantly, calm down. I know that sounds stupid, but the more uptight you get about being stressed, the more harm you are doing. If you have a favourtite place to go, go there and just sit quietly and just do some deep breathing exercises. When you stress, your heartrate goes up as does your respiration rate, slow down!

I'm sorry girlfriend, I wish I could help you, literally. Gosh I hate living so far away from everyone on this board!

Hope this helps you. If not ... ask for a chainsaw :wink:

Luv n hugs n a moonful of positive thoughts
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

I couldn't agree more with everything said here. To much stress is a big contributor for me as far as RLS symptoms go.

It is often difficult to manage for a lot of different reasons but it is essential imo to help keep the bogeyman(rls) at bay. :)
A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one. ~ J. Pierpoint Morgan

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi

I wish I could rid my life of stress, but tis impossible....with asperger son, mil with PSD. hubby coming apart and me with not very well controled rapid cycling bipolar.

I am still not working and am on waiting list to start CBT to help the bipolar disorder.....that could be ages away.

I go to a centre everyday I get good support and can relax there...then home to world war three usually....as thers a lot of probs with my son just now.

Last nite i slept for bout half an hour, had panic attack after panick attack and rls, so thats around 10 hrs since friday, I ended up taking two lots of codeine last night as the RLS was hell again , such a sharp pain, my legs ache so much today...couldn't even manage the gym this morning!
I know the lack of sleep doesn't help rls , im getting the rls during the day as well and also cramp in my legs , it's so so horrible ...having been free for quite a while .

A chain saw sounds like a great idea !!!!!!

huggles
moonlight xxx :?

Neco

Post by Neco »

Have you ever talked about being tested for Fibromyalgia with your doctor?

I know RLS can be pretty bad, but sore to the touch? That sounds pretty bad and then some.

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi Zach....I don't think so as I only get the pain to touch when thr rls has been extreemly bad......at the moment it is very bad...sitting at this computer is too painfull and it is mainly down my right leg and ankle...I feel as if i wan to break my ankle to get rid of the feelig and pain.....

Oh i know i'm going on and on but the pain is intense and i so much want it to go away ...i think i'll take codeine 30mg , then if it doesnt go in an hour take another 60mg....the prob is i'm going over wot i should be taking in meds, diaz and codeine and havent been given another script till i behave even my pdoc has had words with me.....don't think i'm doing things quite rite so at the moment i'm having to ration it .

god i just want the pain to stop

hugs
moonlight xxx