Newbie Intro

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
umpwidow

Newbie Intro

Post by umpwidow »

Hi. My name is Jamie. I'm 34 with two children 10 & 4.

I've been suffering with this thing for two years. It's bought me a bipolar diagnosis. On 12/23 I saw a neuro for a second opinion who pegged RLS. But because I'm a medicated bipolar it makes treatment a little tricky. So I saw the psychiatrist the neuro wanted me to see and she tried to diagnose me with anxiety (again).

I saw the psychiatrist yesterday and she's accepted the RLS diagnosis now because the neuro is so adamant about it.

So I guess I finally have the RLS dx and we're treating with clonazepam. Of course I've put the soap in bed with me too and found that I do like it.

Hope I can find a home here of people who understand and who I can give back to.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Welcome, Jamie. Most of seem pretty happy here and that's the best testament I can think of! Getting the right diagnosis can be tricky, as you've found. Many of us (I'd guess the majority) were self-diagnosed. Having a neuro that knows what he or she is doing (or whatever doc treats your RLS or PLMD) is so important. Hope the clonazepam works for you.

I hope you like to read :D . There are so many good posts here with a TON of valuable information. My two favorites for newcomers: under New to RLS, find the Websites post; under General Topics, find the Starting out: links post. Many of us here (I think I can say this) strongly feel that knowing as much as you can is essential. Getting treatment is difficult under the best of circumstances; knowing as much as you can and standing up for yourself, educating your docs, educating your family, are all so important in order to get your quality of life back.

Ann

Post by Guest »

Thanks Ann,

I've got the algorithm printed out already. And I'm an obsessive fool when it comes to anything that's wrong with me and what can help.

Thanks for the welcome.

becat

Welcome To you Umpwidow

Post by becat »

Hi Umpwidow,
I'm so glad you found us. Sorry you had to, but wonderful to have you here. You'll find that like View, many of the people around here are supportive and ready to help in any way. Many of us are learning and sharing at the same time. You never know what sharing will do for others, not to mention yourself.
Being obsessed about learning about RLS is a good thing. The more you know about the treatments and diaganosis is better. It's your best defense with RLS. As Ann has mentioned, there is a wealth of knowledge here. I think she read every post on the board when she joined. If you have any questions, ask away. You have comments about something, add that too.
We all post, everywhere! It's the way we learn from one another.
Trust me when I say, there is always someone that knows how you feel around here.
You might like the thread about anxiety that Our sweet Sara started. It talks about this and the way it might effect RLS.

http://rls.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=625

I hope you get as much out of this place as many of us have. Your not alone or crazy.......your one of us now.
Best wishes.

Post by Guest »

becat,

Thanks for that link. This is actually a topic that interests me since all doctors seem to want to link everything to anxiety.

I've had PTSD and bipolar mania with paranoia and panick attacks during the two years we've been trying to pin down this RLS, and the RLS has maintained it's own life.

I really believe that my hormones have more impact on my RLS than my stress.

What stress anymore. The RLS got so bad at one point I had to resign.

I'm now a lady of leisure (of sort).

Anyhoo, thanks for the link. It was interesting.

Jamie