MS???

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Momo

MS???

Post by Momo »

I'm not sure where to put this post, so sorry if its not where it belongs....

I'm in the middle of switching Neurologists so I cant see a doctor for a little bit, which means my quest to find a medication has been postponed. However, I have been like experiencing other problems, and some of which i liked to side effects with Lamactal, but now i am not so sure....

I think i mentioned i had been experiencing weakness, and like some of you kinda confirmed what me and my mom were thinking, maybe i have something else beside rls. Which kinda concerned me.

Then i joined butyoudontlooksick.com, and i have been looking up some of the common issues on there to kinda get an understanding on what other people are going through, and I was reading about MS because a lot of people have that, and a lot of the things i have been experiencing are on the lists of symptoms. I know i probably sound like a hypochondriac, but i am serious, like it could be possible couldn't it???
Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.

runner1

Post by runner1 »

Hi momo,

Many people with ms can suffer with rls.The symptoms can be very similar which is why many with ms take medications that we take for rls, such as the muscle relaxants and anti-seizure drugs.

My mum has primary progressive ms and i too worried i may have it.As i've said in another reply to one of your questions,i had tests to rule this out.

Do mention your concerns to your doctor when you get one.When my mum and i are discussing our symptoms anyone would think we had the same illness as our symptoms can match like for like.

Dont worry too much,hope this helps some,michelle

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Momo, I haven't a clue, but I admit to thinking that MS primarily affects women a bit older than you. Now, for all I know it does affect people in their teens, but I seemed to think it was more like 30-40 or so.

I don't know if I'm right, though, so I'm just saying it so you have something else to go research to find out how likely it is you'd have this. That may make you feel differently.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Momo--

Sure, it could be. It could also be cancer in your spine. It could be a brain tumor. It could be lots of really, really nasty stuff. Nasty stuff that's pretty darned rare in a teenager, mind you.

Or... you might just be deficient in some nutrient. Or maybe it's a side effect from the meds you've tried. Or maybe you have a pinched nerve/blood vessel. It could be lots of really, really, dull stuff.

My point is: don't worry too much about it until you've got some more information. Stress will actually do harm to your nervous system. For instance...

I had a problem in 2007 that produced chest pain. It took a few months to find out that it wasn't a heart condition, lung cancer, an embolism, esophageal cancer, etc., but rather just a pinched nerve. However, by then, I was so consistently stressed, for so long, that the chemical changes caused by stress actually harmed the sheaths on my nerves and gave me tingling and numbness in my arms and legs (on TOP of my RLS). However, I didn't know it was the stress, so THEN I got to have tests for MS, ALS, lupus, lyme, etc. (Believe me, I really, really, absolutely, know how hard it is to think that you might have MS.) Nothing came of those tests except more stress and another six months down the tubes. Finally, a year passed, and my nerves apparently resheathed and I was okay. All that hassle, all that stress, for nothing, except the advice to sit up straight and stretch my shoulders back every now and then.

So, as much as you can, try to worry only about actual, hard facts that you already have. If you have concerns, absolutely make sure you have them checked out by your doctor, but don't worry until you have to. There's enough to worry about, and enough time to worry about it, that you don't need to spend more time and energy on unknowns. (I know this is tough advice to follow, though.)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

runner1

Post by runner1 »

Momo,

I dont profess to know everything about ms and although i agree with aiken and veiwsaskew,i understand why you may associate your symptoms with those of the ms sufferers you've read about.As i said in my last reply,the symptoms,to some degree,can sound like rls.

However,having been on numerous consultations with my mum to her neuro,i do know alot about ms.My nana also had it.

You can get ms as a young adult but this is generally the remitting relapsing type,where you can be symptom free for a good while then suffer a relapse.This can go on for many years.
I still have to get tested every 5yrs for ms due to my mum and maternal nana suffering from it.However,even though i can get the weakness in my arms,i refuse to worry about something else i may,or may not get.I'll worry if and when it happens.
We can convince ourselves where on the way out sometimes!!!stop worrying so much,takecare,michelle

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

That's the problem with the internet. It's amazing how many diseases a person can "contract" by reading about them. The imagination can run wild with all sorts of ideas about what it could be.

The butyoudontlooksick.com forum is a wonderful place, and people there are all ages and have every condition you could think of. Try not to "catch" them all. Just focus on how the people cope and live their lives in spite of it all.

I think it's good for you to get a new neurologist. You really do need to get this checked out. Numbness and weakness are NOT a part of RLS, so there is something else going on. As Aiken said, it could be something as simple as a pinched nerve. And yes, it could be MS. Just work on getting it accurately diagnosed for now, and then when you know what it it, work with that.

Best wishes to you.
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Momo, I am a lot older than you, I could be your grandmother. But I do understand your thoughts and concerns. I am having tests to diagnose/rule out causes of certain symptoms.

I heartily agree with Aiken's post and I am taking it on board myself. I have been 'there' for the past maybe 6 months, worry worry, I have symptoms which could come from any of a dozen serious conditions, and it could be something simple.

The internet is wonderful for information. It also provides us with too many options and answers and possibilities, and we give ourselves cause to worry.

Of course, it is difficult not to worry. I know that, I am that person....
I hope you get to your new neurologist as soon as possible, and find some real answers.

Good luck.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation