Video Games

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
wslocum27

Video Games

Post by wslocum27 »

Has anyone seen any evidence that video games either console or pc has triggered or stimulated RLS episodes. I am a video game enthusiast, or an addict if you ask my wife. I play them regularly on my xbox or playstation2 or on the pc. I will play at night for long hours or the weekends for long hours. I play during episodes of RLS and without. Just curious if anyone has a comments. Sleep tight. LOL.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Can't say that I remember anyone stating to that effect. I think, generally, the opposite has been true. That is, things such as video games etc act as a mind or thought diversion which helps people deal with their rls and related pain. I know that is the case for me. But, I have to admit that I am not a video game junkie and do not own an x-box or those types of games. I do enjoy engaging in some tamer versions on the internet or my i-pod.

Best wishes,

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Off and on, I'll find a game I like and play incessantly for a week or four. It never seems to exacerbate my RLS. In fact, as mentioned, it's a great distraction and I think I suffer less.

Full disclosure: I write video games, and the more people who play them, the more gold I have to line my pockets. ;)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'd agree with everyone so far - it's a distraction and tends to help. That is Jill Gunzel's entire theory - she wrote the book The RLS Rebel.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

I can play video games for hours and my legs are fine. Then, I'll go sit on the couch and watch a presidential debate and my legs freaks out. :)

Same with reading a good book. I still don't quite understand how it helps from a physiological standpoint but it does. Happy gaming! Far Cry2, Call of Duty 4, and Fallout 3 are rockin' right now.