Help identify leg pain?!?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
GaAudrey

Help identify leg pain?!?

Post by GaAudrey »

Hi everyone, I've been reading all the post on this message board and how so many people have pain with their RLS. I didn't really relate because where I feel crawly and achey doesn't really hurt. But just as I was reading someones bio a minute ago, it dawned on me what I would be putting down if I were writing my own. I would write both of my legs hurt at night on the outside of the upper thighs. I've always related it to cyatic (misspelled) nerve pain. But have only been guessing. Does this location of pain sound familiar to anyone else? It's very painful and wakes me up quite often, many nights. Could this really be part of my RLS? Should I tell my neurologist?

Thanks for your thoughts, Audrey

becat

Hi

Post by becat »

Hi Audrey,
I am responding, because it's fresh in my head today. I actually had a bad RLS night last night. Thankfully, my first in months now. Medication has kept it at bay since Sept.. I still itch, but not near as badly as I did.
Anyway,
Some studies show that more than 54 % of RLSers have pain. There are others that say it's more than that. It seems to be a new concept of sorts. Years ago, on this site, I was told RLS is not painful, mine always has been. There are many that don't feel their symptoms are painful.
Honestly, my easy RLS tends to hit my right leg. Both legs if bad enough. My thighs hurt like I've over done it. My thighs and foot are what woke me last night as well. The muscles tighten badly enough that it's hard to walk some days. Today was one. Bad RLS hits me til I can't tell where it begins or ends.
Yes, it's a normal thing for me. I know I've read that others have the same thigh things as well. Sorry don't remember which post yet. I'll add it later if I find it. One person had to sleep on their stomach so their thighs had some pressure on them. I have often done the same.
Of course mention to the Doc.. Just think about this.
We all have the same disorder and each of us are slightly different in how it effects us. Your symptoms may be just a tad different. Your treatment will be a tad different as well. Everyone reacts to different medications and non-pharm as well.
You know, I would tell the doc. if it's waking you at night. I always want my sleep protected since I went without for years. I had a goal when I sought treatment. I had to have the pain and sleep issues taken care of. You need to decide what your goals need to be and go for it.
Glad you asked.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Becat, that reminds me of a conversation I had with my sister-in-law this week. I am NOT a high-maintenance person and I sort of pride myself on that. I used to date a guy who called me "game" and I liked that. But when it comes to RLS? Now that's a different story. Look out anyone who gets between me and my sleep. I will do ANYTHING to make sure all things are in the best possible alignment of the stars so I at least have a chance! Room temperature, sleeping partner rules (do not touch my legs, do not hug me, do not. . .), light rules, what I wear (or don't wear) to sleep, the types of sheets, earplugs required, no noise allowed, size of bed, type of pillow. . . .

I could go on! When I first realized this, I almost had to go into therapy over it. Here was the girl who picked up snakes, came home dirtier than the boys, and as an adult could care less if people me in my gardening clothes, don't wear makeup unless it's a special event, etc, and I was like Felix Unger about my bed and sleeping.

Then I realized it was my only defense for so many years. I had to protect what little sleep I could get. When the meds work and the sleep comes, I get glimpses of what it would be like to let go of all my special requirements. And I get a glimpse of what many people take for granted. Now I applaud myself for setting all those rules and parameters. I took care of myself the best I could until someone else could help.

Ann (with out of control RLS this fine evening and some lovely itching to go with it :twisted: .

becat

WOW

Post by becat »

WOW Ann, you are so right.
I bet most of us are protective of sleep. I know my hubby is protective of my sleep. Bless the saleman that calls in the mornings around here.....OUCH.
Funny, I'm itching like crazy too. If only my arms would bend the right way, uuuffffaa the back. Thankfully, not too much pain tonight.
I thought about what you said. I have sleep habits too. Your right it lessens the anxiety some. yup yup yup there are rules. LOL
Brushed Cotton sheets, I search for them on sale. They are soft and that helps. Old cotton concert T-shirts to wear. Worn and soft.
Weight, gotta have the right weight. Winter is best for me. It's cold in the house so I get to have more blankets. The summer is so hot I never find the right combination. *note, I've discovered that my two cats are a bit too heavy for my leg's taste.* lol But they purr so I let them sleep next to me. I like the purring vibrations, the counter mine somehow.
My favortie thing when I really can't keep my eyes shut is night blinders. Those goofy thing you see the stars where in old movies. It's good pressure and it doesn't help me for some strange reason.
Pillow is a big deal......the right pillow. I got one of those memory foam pillows for Christmas. Nope I'm not sure I like it yet. So, I'm with ya, but lost right now.
Protect the sleep it's a way of life.