leg pain in only one leg??

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Jitterlegs

leg pain in only one leg??

Post by Jitterlegs »

Hi everyone! It has been a while since I have been on. Things are okay. I have not taken any medication for a couple months because neurontin was terrible for me. My next step was narcotics, and I didn't want to use them during the day. But, I have been having a lot of leg pain lately. I was reading a post, and it sounds a lot like what I experience. I first started noticing it driving--my right lower leg. I actually went to my primary, and I have to wonder what he really thought. It was hard to describe. At the time I didn't think it was the same as my RLS pain, but now I think it is. It is mostly be in the shin side, but seems deep and is achy and turns to a really bad burning like sensation. I have to move my leg and rub it or I would go insane. It feels like it is in the bone, but it doesn't hurt more to walk or go up on my toes, etc. I find myself cracking my ankle a lot in response to it--another thing that is hard to explain. I have it on and off all day long. Does this sound familiar to anyone?? Anyone only have leg pain in ONE leg? I feel like a freak! :twisted: Maybe I need to go back to my RLS dr, but I don't want to mess with the medicaitons any more, and my primary said he (the primary) would likely prescribe neurontin for it!!!! NO thanks!! On a very good note, my ferritin is now up to 87!!! I keep thinking, just get it up more and maybe that will help. I hope everyone is managing okay and had a good Thanksgiving!

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

J, I certainly have the "feeling" in one leg only---at times. Sometime it is both, sometime moves from one to the other, and some days/nights just one. Also experience the burning and mine has just been more "painful" as of late. While I am positive I have rls, I am exploring a pinched nerve as a possible exacerbating factor.

Regarding Neurontin: Remember, Neurontin is just one med in a class of meds (anti-convulsants). While Neurontin and, now Lyrica, seem to the the ac's of choice there are others. If you had a modicum of relief with Neurontin but did not tolerate it, it may be worthwhile to look at other meds within the class. Just a thought. Best wishes. M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

chefws

Post by chefws »

I usually have it more in my right leg more than my left. Mine feels like the muscles are ripped across my calves. Throughout the day, my muscles grind and move. This pain is a new addition after using Mirapex and Neupro, and although I stopped them over 8 months ago. I'm on the narcotics now.
So, yeah, it's not that unusual.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

That sounds so familiar to me. Especially your description of what the pain is like. My pain is more in my right leg than in the left most days, but it floats around.
Susan

Jitterlegs

Post by Jitterlegs »

Thanks for the replies. M, I have been on Mirapex, Requip and Neurontin. The only one that helped even a little was Requip, but I was so foggy on it, I decided at least with my legs going wild I could still think straight, so stopped that. I also have to wonder if my leg pain could be something vascular (a vein is now visible that runs across my shin, but it feels deeper). It is most likely RLS, but I'd prefer it was something I could "cure". :wink: I haven't been sleeping well either and wonder if it is related. I can't say that the pain is terrible (sometimes it is), but it is there on and off all the time. I just find it strange that it is only from my ankle to my knee. Is that common as well? Probably time for another dr. visit and maybe explore narcotics, but there is the daytime--need to work--issue. One thing I am sure of is after experiencing side effects of the other drugs, narcotics are probalby nothing.

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Jitter,
Yes, it is common to start in one leg, in particular the calf. Your description of how you have to twist your ankle, how it's deep and achy, is exactly like mine, and it hurts like the devil and is unbelievably annoying. Some folks have it start on the right, then go into the left, and even up to the arms. Then there's people like me who get whole-body jerks, too. I also get quick jerks in the shoulder sometimes. It's one wild and crazy thing. But literature talks about that one-leg calf deal, and your RLS doc should know about it, plus there's links at this website to articles and books on all that stuff.
GG

Jitterlegs

Post by Jitterlegs »

GG, thanks for the reply. Mine is in the front of my leg, not the calf, but I suppse that is just an individual thing?? I was just wondering what medicaitons you are on if you don't mind my asking. I just wonder because you mentioned the jerking and I had that while on Mirapex. I will never take that again. I am going to try requip again for a time and see if my body can adjust to it this time. I seem to be very sensitive to the medications. Neurontin is another NO. So, my options are becoming fewer and I was taking nothing and just putting up with the RLS bouncing my legs every second while sitting/lying. But, this pain is VERY annoying as you said, and a daily occurance now, on and off 24/7. The neurontin actually made the leg pain very bad, but then after a week of stopping it, that went away for a while only to return with a vengence. That is what makes me so nervous about going back to requip--afraid it may make things worse. Does your ankle crack when you twist it?? Mine does, and only recently have I realized I only do it on the right which is the only leg with pain. When I do my left one, it doesn't crack at all. Maybe I am wearing it out?? :P

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

One thing I am sure of is after experiencing side effects of the other drugs, narcotics are probalby nothing.

That's been my experience. After the first few days, the side effects aren't even noticeable. Some of the painkillers are a bit energizing, like Vicodin, so they make it hard to sleep. And there's the constipation issue. But compared to the dopamine agonists and the anticonvulsants, the side effects are quite manageable. They do depress breathing, though, so it's good to go slowly with them.
Susan

Jitterlegs

Post by Jitterlegs »

Hey Susan thanks for the reply. Vicodin "energizing"??? Really?? I could use that!! I would have thought it would put you to sleep??

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Yup Jitterlegs. When I started the Vicodin for my RLS, I was sleepy for the first few days. And after that I found it a bit energizing. I think that's pretty common for Vicodin, Codeine, Oxycodone, Tramadol and others. They actually make it hard to sleep at night.

Now I'm taking methadone, and it doesn't make me sleepy or energized or anything.

It's funny. I'd only ever taken narcotics after major surgery. And then they just totally knocked me out. So that's what I expected when I started taking them for RLS. But after the first few days, the drowsiness was gone.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have to admit that I even find methadone a bit, ah, well not exactly energizing, just that I'm less tired after I take it. I take a split dose these days - 1 tab at 7 PM to prevent the early evening problems, then the rest of my dose an hour before I plan to go to bed. I'm usually quite tired at that time. But, by the time I'm certain the RLS is not going to bother me, I'm also much more awake and so I start doing things...soon it's two or three hours later (such as tonight when it's now 5 AM and I meant to go to bed at 2).

I wonder, sometimes, if it's not so much that is awakens or energizes me, but that it's part of dependence - I finally get the dose my brain is looking for and the withdrawal symptoms stop - the tiredness, lethargy, slight headache, etc. But, I seem to be extremely sensitive to withdrawals of anything. Just having caffeine two days in a row is enough to give me a headache on day 3 if I do not have it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Jitter,
You asked what I take. Like some of the posters have just said, I take Codeine. Opiates are the only thing that works, and I've tried all four categories of RLS medicine. And like the others, I have to take my last dose before about 7pm to prevent it from interfering with sleep. The increase in symptoms you noticed with your meds is probably rebound, which if you take, for example, Requip for a while, the body adjusts to the medicine after a while, and then the legs ramp up again. With morphine derivitives, it doesn't happen that way, and you can stay on the same dose for a long time.

Now, as to your pain being at the front of your lower leg rather than the back, it really makes no difference. Sensations differ from person to person, and people with RLS describe it all sorts of different ways, and some have symptoms that others don't. The thing that stands out and is in common with others is that it starts in one leg, the lower part. As for body jerks, it's just one of many RLS signals people can get to and from the brain. And just because a person takes a medicine that cuts it down, doesn't mean it stops altogether.

You asked if my ankle crackled when I twisted it around. Different joints in my body make a racket, that's the nature of joints. Remember in high school there was always some yokel who cracked his knuckles? Even joints with good cartilage in a young person can make noise. But generally crackling joints indicate wear and tear or some arthritic changes. Of course, when you got some really powerful muscles going full-tilt on a joint, well, it ain't natural.
GG
"It's not how old you are; it's how awful you feel."