Antibiotics?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
zookeeper

Antibiotics?

Post by zookeeper »

Has anyhone had problems with antibiotics making the RLs flare up?
I've been doing great lately on hydrocodone, even able to miss the last dose of the day without problems. However the past few mights, I've been able to fall asleep only to be wakened by RLS after maybe half an hour. The only thing new is that I'm taking clindamycin for a stubborn sinus infection.
Go quietly amidst the noise and haste.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Seems I remember a person or so posting about that once or twice in the past, but I'm tired and could easily be misremembering...did you search on antibiotics? I know our search function isn't as grand as it could be, though, and people don't always like using it. (I suggest always search in addition to asking only because people float in and out and the person(s) who had something happen in the past may not be floating in at the moment).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Being curious (and seeing how horrid a search would be), I tried searching on antibiotics. I imagine that it's only because I had some idea of what to search for that I found this quickly:

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=5151& ... ntibiotics

There might be other gold in the search, but I was pretty sure this was the post I'd remembered.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

I definitely had related leg problems with Cipro and Levaquin (same class). However, since then I strongly believe that my leg pain was associated with side effects of these meds related to muscle pain and even tendon damage--and not increased rls.

With respect to antibiotics... Interestingly enough Amantadine (antibiotic/antiviraal) has been used to treat rls with some success. Though I have not used it, it was included in a doctor's report as a possbile medication for me to try for my rls. Paragraph quote from the Southern Cal RLS site:

"Symmetrel (Amantadine)

This drug is normally used for Parkinson's disease or treating influenza A. A recent trial of this drug was published in the journal Movement Disorders (2000;15:324-327) in which they tested 21 patients with this drug. Half the patients had improvement with this drug and 6 had almost complete resolution of their RLS symptoms. This drug should be started at 100 mg per day and increased by 100 mg (to a maximum of 300 mg/day) until RLS symptoms are better or side effects limit its usage. Side effects in this study were drowsiness, fatigue and insomnia.

"Symmetrel comes in 100 mg tablets or a syrup with each teaspoon containing 50 mg.

This drug has been used for many years for Parkinson's disease and influenza, and its use for RLS seems promising. We will wait for other studies and reports to see how this drug works for RLS."
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.