Mirapex and anxiety

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
gracie

Mirapex and anxiety

Post by gracie »

I suffer from anxiety disorder and have been taking Paxil for two years. I also take Welbutrin because the Paxil causes depression. Life changed for me when I started taking these medications...I was no longer having panic attacks, I was doing things I hadn't been able to do in years.

Now I've been diagnosed with RLS and have started taking Mirapex. Suddenly, I'm axious and depressed again and have even had a few full-blown panic attacks.

Has anyone else experienced this? My psychiatrist thinks maybe the dopamine in the Mirapex and Welbutrin are too much combined.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Gracie. I don't do well on Mirapex. It didn't cause anxiety for me, but sudden bouts of sadness that came out of nowhere. I'd be walking down the street and suddenly think something and would be crying! I also suffered from instrusive thoughts and songs that would not stop. At a low dose, this doesn't happen, but anything over .125 and it starts happening.

Your doc has an interesting theory. I don't know a lot about the brain chemicals, but I have a theory that all that dopamine means less serotonin and GABA. The anxiousness comes from not enough GABA, right? And the sadness from not enough serotonin. Again, I'm no scientist, but seems that all that extra dopamine (that is not making it's way to the right cells to stop the RLS), is having an effect on the rest of the brain.

Well, interesting theory. I'll be curious to hear what you end up doing and how it goes. Paxil can make RLS worse, Wellbutrin can make it better. Maybe changing to a non-dopaminergic RLS drug would be better. That's my goal!

Ann

kateinmo

Mirapex and Anxiety

Post by kateinmo »

Hi Gracie and Ann,

I was on Paxil and Wellbutrin, in addition to Mirapex, plus several other RXs. I made a chart of all my meds and the side effects of each. Almost everything I take affects muscles, causing everything from minor aches and pains to spasms. With my neuropsychologist's help, I weaned off the Paxil and Wellbutrin and am almost weaned off Zoloft. The Mirapex has stopped "the ants crawling between the muscle fibers of my legs" and the Klonopen has lessened the severity of my PLMS. The Paxil and Wellbutrin both aggravated my RLS. I've made several life-style changes that have kept the depression and anxiety at bay, and I very carefully avoid my PTSD triggers.

I am fascinated how different medications affect each of us. We can have the same symptoms, take the same medication, and each have a different result.

Gracie, I think you're on the right track by discussing this with your psychiatrist. For me it was a trial and error of titrating down one medication, staying off it for a month, adding it back gradually, then doing the same with another drug. It was a drawn out process, but I knew which drug was aggravating the RLS the most. The time of day I was taking the Paxil, Wellbutrin, and Mirapex also made a difference in my anxiety level. So many facets to be considered! And it takes so much time and so much record keeping. But in the long run, you will know just how each med affects you and your mood.

Let me know how it goes with you.

Kay
kateinmo