I got Help

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Polar Bear

I got Help

Post by Polar Bear »

I may have briefly mentioned this in another thread, but I am so impressed with Dr B that I just have to tell you,

I have always fought to keep my requip at a low level, and so supplemented with codeine, with varied success. By that I mean, if I work at it I can probably ensure that I can be medicated sufficiently to go sit through a movie or some such. However I struggle with breakthrough all the time, still have nights when I am up for most of the time, and others where I awake several times but manage about 4 hours sleep. Every evening had walkabout time.

Last week I made the decision........... I want to sort this out so I get as much relief as is possible, whatever it takes, within reason.

So I emailed Dr B. who responded in 4 hours. My symptoms are 24/7.
He suggested instead of spreading my requip in little doses over the day, that I take l mg requip every 8 hours. (upping it as far as 2mg every 8 hours if necessary but I don't want to think about taking that much).

So I have been taking 1mg requip x 3 daily. This is a 50% increase.
I still supplemented with 30mg codeine twice daily, and still had a little breakthrough..... but it was so much improved.

In his response Dr B had advised that codeine was not the best opiate to supplement for rls, he suggested a couple of others, including Tramadol. I have never taken Tramadol in my life before, for anything.

As it happens my friend is taking Tramadol 100mg Slow Release for a back condition, and she gave me 6 tablets. Yesterday I took my requip as usual and at 4pm took a Tramadol SR. What a difference!!! I could not believe it. We watched a movie last night, we watched something else on tv. I did not have any crawlies, my shoulder and hip pain also seemed to have been eased by the Tramadol. It was the best I have felt for so many years. It was a joy to be in bed. No fidgeting and no trying to lie in a certain way to ease my hip/shoulder. I told hubby that I felt like what I imagine 'normal' would be.

OK, very late in the evening, if I really really thought about it, there was the tiniest little 'feeling' in my leg, but it was so little that I could ignore it. Today was also good and I took another Tramadol 100mg SR today at 4pm. I don't know how long each pill lasts so reckoned that 4pm was a good time to cover the evening/night.

If this works ok, for each day that I take the Tramadol along with my requip, then I shall go to my doc and tell him of my trial, and ask him to prescribe it for me. However, I don't know how he will feel about me using someone else's medication :oops: :oops:

I may just ask for it as per the advice of Dr B. or I may tell him of my trial period using it.

However, Dr B took the time to help me, I am a stranger to him, and I feel such gratitude. His emailed response gave my body the most comfortable and pleasant evening in memory. My body was not fighting with itself.

There are still some wonderful people in this world..........
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi PB

Hey good for you girl long may it continue for you.
Im going back to my dr again tomorrow afternoon
to see about my legs and my arthiritis too.

love gill :wink:

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Gill, you gotta keep pushing for help. You gotta be pro-active without being rude.... its a fine line. good luck
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Betty/WV

Dr. B

Post by Betty/WV »

Hi Polar Bear: I agree wholeheartedly about Dr. B. I have had RLS for 30 or more years and went thru all the doctors and meds. like everyone else. Started on Mirapex in August, was very nervous about it because of all I've read about augmentation. My doctor is very inexperienced with RLS. :roll: I'm hoping he will learn as we go. Anyway, I read in a post about Dr. B and that you could email him with your questions, which I did, and he answered me within hours. I was totally amazed that a doctor would do that. One question led to another and I ended up emailing him 3 times, and each time he answered right away. This man should be given an award. He is one of a kind. :shock:

By the way, can anyone tell me how the dosage of Requip equals with Mirapex. I take .25 mg of Mirapex, one dose at 2 pm and one at 9 pm. I feel this is quite a bit but Dr. B said that since that is what the doctor put me on and it is working, to stick with it. Although he said the usual starting dose is .125 mg.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Betty.... I am not certain... but I think it is about 3 times requip to 1 of mirapex. Someone else will confirm or correct this I am sure.

If this is correct, then your medication dose is only about half the equivalent of what I take of DA. But don't forget, we are all very very different.

And Yes, I cannot believe the angel that is Dr B. He is helping me from the far side of the world.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Re: Dr. B

Post by ViewsAskew »

Betty/WV wrote:
By the way, can anyone tell me how the dosage of Requip equals with Mirapex. I take .25 mg of Mirapex, one dose at 2 pm and one at 9 pm. I feel this is quite a bit but Dr. B said that since that is what the doctor put me on and it is working, to stick with it. Although he said the usual starting dose is .125 mg.

BETTY/WV

You need 2 to 3 times the Requip as Mirapex. As with all things, it depends on the person.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.