Success

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
waterloo2

Success

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi all

Success at last with drs this afternoon. She has given me PREGABLIN 75mgs I take one a day. Lets hope it works.
Also my Diabetes check is 7.and a half she likes it to be 7 or just under.
So quite made up at the moment. Except for the weather that is. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.
How are you all?

gill

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Gill
Sounds like you may have made a bit of headway with your doc.
I think Pregabalin is the same as Lyrica which is often referred to on this site.

Good luck
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

Although I am happy that she at least gave you something else to try, I am still less than impressed why she has not either increased your codeine to 90 or 120mg or given you a stronger opiate..

I truly hope the Pregabalin helps you out and relieves some of your pain.. 75mg should make you pretty sleep at first too, so maybe you will get a few good nights sleep out of it if nothing else.

Hope things improve.

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi Pb

Yes your right about that girl.
I have been reading up on the web about it.
Not sure if there is any side affects though.
See what happens.

AND ZACH

I CANT HAVE ANYTHING ELSE STRONGER LOVE.
IM ON A LOT OF MEDS SEE.

Gill

Neco

Post by Neco »

I know you're on a lot of meds, and that you are sensitive to things and I'm not sure if you've ever actually given a list.. But all opiates are relatively the same in how they interact with other medications, and how the will affect you. And we're not talking about a jump from a weak opiate to the strongest one on the planet, here...

I'm sorry, but at the risk of making an assumption about your other meds - it's not a real excuse. I'm sorry if your doctor has conditioned you to think otherwise, At the very LEAST an increase in your codeine couldn't do anything but HELP. I think you've said you take 30 or 60mg. Maybe good for a root canal or tooth extraction, but hardly a dent in RLS + Arthritis that you seem to be suffering from, as evidenced by your constant posts of being in pain.

I've been trying to make you understand this forever. Well, I've given you all the info I can these past few months.. So what you do with that info is up to you, but you are in sore need of more professional care from a better doctor.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

Gill,
Do you test your blood sugar daily?? I usually test mine 2-3 times or more a day. You really have to eat properly and test your blood sugar daily, my Dr told me that mine should not be over 124. of course it does at times go over that, but I can always tell when my blood sugar is too high, as I began to feel awful.

What diabetic med are you on? I take one metforium (l000 mgs) twice daily. I am working very hard to control mine with eating right, exercise and pills, because if I dont the next step will be insulin shots and I do NOT wish to do that!

What other meds do you take, you always say you have to take so many meds I take diabetic med twice daily, blood pressure med twice daily, thyroid med, sinus pill and then of course my pain meds, hydrocodone and ultram for my restless legs.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

G, Good luck with the new med.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes Gill, as Zach says, you've never said exactly what meds you are on.
why don't you list on this post all of your meds and their dosage, and see what advice comes forth.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

I'm saddened by all the Doctors out there that are so terrified of drug users that they treat RLS poorly, not wanting to give us any medications that would help us. Last Feb 08 I was going to end my life, I couldn't take my legs one more day. But then I decided if I left my job instead of dieing I'd maybe have more chance to get sleep so I did that quit my job. Still noone would believe how severe my sleep loss was. My longest stretch was 12 days with only 2 hours of sleep if I added it all up. This may sound impossible. But did you know the world record was 11 days in 1976 by a 17 year old? ZERO sleep in 11 days. I understand they need to be careful, but I think those of us that are in a life threatening state get over looked. After quitting my job and cutting back on everything in my life I was able to get it back together long enough to change my plans. I'm still not on a medication that can get me more then 4hrs of sleep and 4hrs is like sleeping in for me. I tend to go 5 days with 0 sleep then get 3 or 4 on sat and sunday. whoops I'm ranting I guess I seem to do that after 2:30am

I love you all!
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Hi Gill,
Hooray! You now have two medications you can use! I use pregabalin for sharp pain in my lower back, which is indeed Lyrica, and supposedly it helps with RLS too. I also use a mild codeine mixture, just for my RLS, and I think you also take some sort of codone medication. I like that Lyrica stuff a lot, and it's the only thing that stopped my lower back from hurting.

By the way, I take my Lyrica a half-hour to an hour before I take my codeine, and then I have something to eat. They work in very nice synergy that way. Supposedly the Lyrica has to upped in dose over time, the doc should be aware of this if and when it happens, and it took me about three months before I reached a plateau with it... I too started out at 75mg, and have been happy at 250mg daily for long time.

I'm assuming you'll still get your codone stuff? What was the name of it, I've forgotten. You said the doc gave you some extra ones, too. One thing good about the pregabalin, is it's good for all nerve pain you got and helps you sleep good, too. So, with both of those medications on board, you should be feeling worlds better in general in no time. Keep us posted! You're an interesting "case."

You asked about our weather, we've had snow on the ground for a few days, temps in the teens. I saw where London got snowed in! Really pretty pics from across the pond.
GG
Last edited by dogeyed on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not how old you are; it's how awful you feel."

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi GG

Yes your right im on co codomol can take upto 8 in a day but so far today NONE yes NONE i cant believe it long my it reign.

gill

Neco

Post by Neco »

For anyone wondering, this is the painkiller she takes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-codamol

But that can't be the only one? I know you were given Lyrica and I hope it keeps working. But you keep saying you are on a LOT and have to be careful, etc.. What we are all interested in is a full list..

Are you on the 30mg Co Codamol? If so then that is a pretty substantial dose of Codeine, about half the daily limit.. But I'm guessing other ingredients become dangerous above 8 pills.. Which is why its better to switch to something else if you truly can and need more pain relief.. If you still have problems, and you are not taking the 30mg's you should ask about getting the 30mg doses at least.

I hope the Lyrica works out better for you, and keeps working, and maybe you will only need to take your normal doses of Co Codamol on the worst days.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

That's great, Gill, that the pregabalin seems to be working for you. I hope it continues! (Personally, I tried it, and 25 mg. knocked me out for days...)
Susan