Going barefoot affects my rls

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
mackjergens

Going barefoot affects my rls

Post by mackjergens »

I learned many yrs ago that if I go barefoot around my house that my rls is so much worse that night, also will cause my legs to have pain.

I had forgotten this as it was so ingrained in my brain to always wear at least house shoes. Well the a couple days ago, my houseshoes were out of place and when I came in from shopping I took off my tennis shoes and went walking thru house looking for a pair of house shoes. That night I could not believe how bad my rls and pain in legs were. It finally dawned on me that I had walked all over the house barefooted.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever noticed this, and thought if you were in habit of walking barefoot in house, you might try always wearing house shoes and see if that might help your rls. I know is STRANGE, but well worth trying.

Betty/WV

Re: Going barefoot

Post by Betty/WV »

Hi Mack: Everything about this syndrome is WEIRD. I never noticed anything about going barefoot. But everytime I set down in my chair by the computer, my legs start acting up. :? Its a good idea to keep a journal and document all these things, I'm trying to do this.

I keep having short episodes, not severe. Even though I am on Mirapex. I don't know if you call this augmentation, or breakthroughs or what. But I am sleeping better even though I wake up very early. But 4 or 5 hours is better than 1 hours.

Wish you well, and keep your house slippers handy. :P

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

I walk around my house barefoot constantly, I'm going to make an effort to try wearing slippers and see if it makes a difference for me... We are all so individualized with this.
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I'm barefoot every single minute I'm in the house. On rare occasions, I get cold and need a pair of socks, though I never wear slippers or shoes. I don't think I've noticed any difference one way or the other.

I wear sneakers at work, and since I sometimes work quite late, I'm sometimes still wearing them when it's RLS Spike Fun Time. Doesn't seem to make it happen earlier or later, or make it better or worse.

It may be one of those things that varies by person.

Actually, wait...

That reminds me: When I'm not wearing shoes, I don't walk like normal people do. I grew up in apartments and developed a funny habit of walking toe-first instead of heel-first so I wouldn't bother the people downstairs. A foot doctor once marveled at me and said he'd never seen someone walk the way I did. Thing is, it's a quiet and fairly gentle way of walking, so I've never lost the habit. So, maybe your thing is somehow impact-related? Walking heel-first in bare feet is actually quite jarring to the skeleton. Maybe you're irritating nerves in your spine or pelvis?
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

LOL Aiken, I learned to walk toe first too, not because I lived in an apartment, but because my mom hated to have to buy new shoes because the toe was warn off. I've been told I walk like a Princess. Being a girl this doesn't hurt my feelings any :lol:

Spiticus

Post by Spiticus »

woodsie357 wrote:LOL Aiken, I learned to walk toe first too, not because I lived in an apartment, but because my mom hated to have to buy new shoes because the toe was warn off. I've been told I walk like a Princess. Being a girl this doesn't hurt my feelings any :lol:

I've been told that I walk around like crippled troll. Being a boy, this hurts my feelings greatly.

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

Spiticus wrote: I've been told that I walk around like crippled troll. Being a boy, this hurts my feelings greatly.

I'm sorry. Who you want me to slap around for you?

Angela H

Post by Angela H »

Actually, I do better in summer when I can go without shoes. Even socks aggravate my RLS. However, adjusting to new shoes or shoes with different height heels seems to aggravate the problem. Maybe the issue is really the different surface the sole or arch has to adjust to. I use to have plantar fascitis (sp.) I don't seem to have problems with this anymore but wonder if the problems are related at all.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Angela - welcome.

Plantar faciitis is just plain common. When you add RLS which is pretty common....they just happen to happen together.

Like you, I think I do better without shoes. But, I do better without anything touching me - socks, shoes, pants, etc. I love the evening when I can take off everything below my waist, lol. As soon as hubby and I sit down to watch a show or movie (it's our nightly dinner ritual), I strip immediately before sitting down. It's sort of funny; makes it hard when people come over and I can't have my nightly ritual, lol.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Angela H

Post by Angela H »

I have a pair of memory foam thong bedroom shoes that seem to give me the freedom and yet warmth my feet crave. I also have always tended to walk a lot on my toes, especially going down any kind of slope, even a slight one. I have high arches and weak ankles (lots of sprains as a child) and use to do extensive running. I wonder if some of the RLS and plantar fascitis problems are a result of being a woman and running many miles a week even on pavement. When I was big into running, they had only one running shoe created especially for women's feet. I bought it, but there is still a lot of jarring of the knees and hips that I've been told most women are just not built for.