Relationship of RLS symptoms to weather patterns

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
klgmd

Relationship of RLS symptoms to weather patterns

Post by klgmd »

I am new to this site and I have suffered with severe RLS since I was a child with "growing pains" There is a definite and strong connection for me between the weather and my symptoms. I call it my "PPS (pre-precipitation syndrome)". My legs are much worse on the day or days preceding precipitation and I am more miserable than usual. If my legs are worse I am 100% accurate in forcasting precipitation, even if it is not in the official weather forecast. Has anyone else experienced this connection? Does anyone know if this has been looked at? :?:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

There are a bunch of people on another RLS message board that find it so! Many people mentioned that it was worse with the damp weather. I can't say that I've even noticed any connection. Interesting to see if anyone else has noticed. Wonder if those that do notice a connection have primary or secondary RLS or another factor involved. Yours seems primary since you had it since a child. Mine is primary, too.

Ann

klgmd

Weather relationship to RLS

Post by klgmd »

Thanks. Any idea where I can find the other message board you referrred to where there were several weather related messages? :?:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think it was on the large Yahoo group. You may already be familiar with Yahoo groups for other things. If not, just go to Yahoo.com and find Groups in the list of things you can go to. Once you get to the main group page, search on RLS and you'll come up with lots of them. Look for the one that has over 1000 members. The group hasn't been that active lately, but there are lots of good posts there to review, too. The forum just isn't as easy to use as here and it's a little less personal, but often with very good information.

Ann

sardsy75

Oh boy can i relate to this one!!

Post by sardsy75 »

I too have primary RLS and I definitely think there is a connection between RLS (and Fibro for that matter) and the weather.

We have just arrived home from spending a week in Brisbane and the Gold Coast, and the humidity down there drove me and my legs almost barmy!!

The week prior to that, before we went away, a tropical low ("almost" hurricane/cyclone) did a very slow meander down the Queensland coast ... it too drove me and my legs insane!

We arrived home early this afternoon to searing, yet dry heat ... much to my relief. I have not been a happy camper! :evil:

We leave for Canberra on Saturday (12th Feb) ... they're having rather strange weather down there at the moment, so who knows what i'm going to be in for! :roll:
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hello, Nadia!

Glad to see you found this thread. I thought I remembered that you were one of the members here who had noticed a distinct RLS/weather connection.

I could not get a reply page on this thread yesterday (and had a bit of a time getting one just now again... wonder why that happens? :roll: ). But I too, have noticed sometimes a connection between extreme change in weather and my RLS. Unfortunately, that's been lower on my personal natural "list" of factors I think about when my RLS flares badly.

I'll have to put a little list in my journal now, to try to remember to factor that in or out. It seems that the last time the subject came up, there were quite a handful of folks who feel there is some connection for them. Thanks to klgmd for bringing it up again.

I mentioned in a PM him, and will briefly here, too, that as we've also discussed previously on this board (but perhaps some newcomers will not have seen) that I have noticed more often (but again, perhaps just because of my mindset, not because it's any more or less frequently an exacerbating factor), that changes in elevation (another air pressure situation) also can affect my RLS.

Good discussion, folks.

Sara