Family link?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
woodsie357

Family link?

Post by woodsie357 »

My older sister has RLS too. She's 37 never had kids. That's all I know so far. I asked my mom if anyone in the family had it and she said she didn't' know of any. But my mom doesn't really talk to anyone so I guess she passed the word around that I had it, and my older sister said she had it too. I've not talked to this sister since 1995 I think. I'm waiting for her to reply to my email so I can learn more.
Last edited by woodsie357 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

does my mom have to have it to be genetic? can it skip her and both my sister and I have it? I don't know how the genetic connections work. Does anyone know that can explain it in a short and to the point kinda way?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

They do not know how it works yet...I wonder if Becat would remember wht Dr Rye told us at the conference a couple of years ago...

I do not remember him saying that it had to affect every generation or that it had to come through a female. That doesn't mean I'm remembering right, but that doesn't seem familiar to me.

I am guessing a lot of us have a dad with RLS instead of a mom, or that some of us have a grandparent and not a parent. I also guess that some of us have other relatives and we don't even know they have it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Everything I read in the past suggested that genetic RLS is inhereted through the mother.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I wish I could remember - I seem to recall Dr Rye saying that there was some evidence, but it wasn't conclusive....but I don't remember and this may be a false memory - but it's definitely in my brain, false or not. I can look at my notes from the conference if I can find them...I still have his slides.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

3 Generations of RLS. Grandmother, mother and me. I also think that my niece has RLS, so that means 4 generations in a row with rls in our family,IF she actually has RLS, her mom and grandmother(my sister) really do not believe in RLS, we all know folks like that.*L*

The child is now around 14 yrs of age. I have not been around her in the last few yrs, but as a young child she was a really restless sleeper, then around 8 yrs of age, they would find her up in the middle of night and of course the next day at school, she would at times become very sleepy.
They diagnosed her with ADHD. I am pretty sure its RLS, but I could never convience them about my RLS sure not going to convience them she has it..

Neco

Post by Neco »

That's so unfortunate for her.. I feel even more sorry for people who have RLS but don't believe in it though... If you spend some time with your neice you should talk to her and see if it sounds like RLS, and maybe suggest she goes to see a doctor on her own if she feels like she needs help she is not getting.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

I doubt that I will ever be able to do that, she lives in another state and we dont see one another often. I sent her mom all kinds of rls info serveral yrs ago.

We all know that for some rls is just an imagined problem. As my sister told me ' if you would just get up early each morning and go strong all day, you will sleep at night..*L* I said that is exactly what I did for years and the Drs back then didnt know what rls was, so did it without meds of any kind. Living on 2- 4 hrs of sleep each night, but it never stopped me from getting up and taking care of my family each day for 20 plus years!

But I sure enjoy being able to take hydrocodone or Ultram(tramadol) and sleeping at night!!

HeatherB

Post by HeatherB »

That we can figure out no one on my dads side had RLS.
My mom has it, but she is adopted so we don't know about her side.
My younger sister has it, I have it, and we think my older sister and her youngest son have it.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've spent an hour or so reading RLS research abstracts related to genes.

They just don't know much. They see a genetic pattern in 40-90% (depending on the study) of cases.

Most studies said it was consistent with autosomal dominant methods of transmission (only one parent has to have a copy and you only have to get that copy). One found RLS-1 (one of the gene loci's found) was autosomal recessive and that RLS-2 and RLS-3 were both autosomal dominant. None of them suggested it was sex-linked.

They don't have a mutation, they have multiple potential locations, and they still aren't even sure how it's passed. Thankfully, I saw research from several different research facilities worldwide. I am grateful to them all.

Managing Your RLS

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

wonderful work Ann!!! Thank you for the information