surgery and RLS?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
chattycarm

surgery and RLS?

Post by chattycarm »

I have had RLS for many years..it seems to come and go for me. I remember having it while pregnant for my 8 year old almost nightly. Afterwards it went away and I would only get it occasionally.

My question is this..I had major surgery (a tummy tuck and breast reduction) almost 3 weeks ago. Every single night since I have been home I have had the restless legs!

As far as pain meds..I had a pain pump, didn't use it. I was given a vicodin (sp) in the hospital 2 times only. I hated them and would not take them again. I only took extra strength Tylenol after that. Should I go get my blood tested and what should I ask to be tested for? I still have to find a doctor, my regular doctor retired years ago and I never have found another one.

Is there any connection between my surgery and RLS acting up? I can hardly take it anymore..with me being uncomfortable with my incisions AND the restless legs.

Thanks!

Carm

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Hello Carm, By NO means am I the expert in this forum but yes I would say about rls flaring its ugly head after surgery. I have read many post of people talking about rls comming back ten fold after surgery or something tramtic hapening to them. So thats is probably what is going on with you. It sounds like you are dealing with alot right now my best wishes go out to you.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

chattycarm

Post by chattycarm »

Lyndarae,

Can you remember how long this went on, does it eventually subside? I have not had it every night like this before..at least that I can remember..I am positive the surgery brought it on..I am not sure why, of course..but wonder when it will lessen..thanks

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

With this syndrome we all have different meds that work for some and not others, how long your problems will last is anyones guess. Are you on any meds for rls??? If you go to the thread NEW TO RLS there is a post USEFUL WEBSITES you might get some info there.
I hope for your sake that things will lighten up,I find it baffling how this syndrome comes and goes in our lifes. I would read as many posts as you can here and you will probably find some that have experinced this sort of thing after surgery and alot of people do find rls to worsen with pregnancy,stress and tramatic events. In some cases it lessens and might even go away and in others it is the begining of the NIGHTMARE. No body can know how your body is going to deal with it. But when more people read your post you will probably get some people who have gone through surgery and then they can share THEIR experience with you~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I found some info and put it in another thread. Maybe this will help, maybe not.

http://beta.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=671

Ann

chirpee

Post by chirpee »

I have had RLS on and off for 24 years (mostly on). I ruptured a disc in September of 2004 and for some reason I did not have another day of RLS pain until a week after my surgery in January of 2005 and it has come back with a vengeance!!!! It has hurt every night since and the last week has been extremely hard on me to the point I cry from the pain. I've schedule another appointment with my doc and go next week. Don't know why, but surgery has something to do with it I feel! Hope you get relief soon! :?