Mirapex not enough?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
jml945

Mirapex not enough?

Post by jml945 »

I have been taking .25mg of mirapex at night, with some improvment of my RLS. But lately I have been waking up with twitching legs and it is so bad it wakes up my wife too. I haven't had it this bad in a while, usually I just feel it during the day but now it's seriously effecting my sleep. What should I say to my doc, and does it sound like I need something else to help with this?
DX: GAD, Panic Disorder, RLS
RX: Lexapro (30mg daily), Mirapex (.25mg daily), Xanax (.5mg as needed)

Neco

Post by Neco »

There's no question you need something more to help.. The question is "what do you need?".. Tell your doc exactly what you said about it waking you up, waking your wife up, etc.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I guess I'd first ask:

1. Did it ever completely take away your symptoms? .25 is a small dose and you may simply need more.

But, then I'd ask:

2. You said it was worse recently. Do you feel that the RLS is worse or that you are simply tired of it not being gone? If it's worse, it could be augmentation. And, that is a different issue than needing more or needing something to add.

Does that make sense?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jml945

Post by jml945 »

No it did not take all the symptoms away, and no it's not worse, it is just worse at night. Does that make sense? I don't think I have augmentation, I just think that now my symptoms are a bit different. I do believe the mirapex has worked overall.
DX: GAD, Panic Disorder, RLS
RX: Lexapro (30mg daily), Mirapex (.25mg daily), Xanax (.5mg as needed)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Only you can really know. If you don't think it's really worse (and by worse, that includes same frequency, but more severe), then it's likely you just have never had it under control and need more of the drug.

The average dose of Mirapex, in many studies, is between .5 and 1.0 mg. Some do get by with .125 or .25, but that is the low end by far. You might only need to go up to .375 or you may need 1.0 or some where in between.

It shouldn't be a problem at all to get your doctor to up the dose, considered what the average is.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Betty/WV

Re: Mirapex not enough

Post by Betty/WV »

Hi jm1945: I started on Mirapex in August of this year. My neuro started me on .25mg. at 9pm. But that wasn't enough, I would have symptoms earlier in the day. :( So he told me to take another .25mg earlier. So now I take .25 mg. at around 1 or 1:30pm and another at 9pm. That seems to work well. :) If I have any break through I take a tramadol. I guess that is what you call it,(a break through) sometimes I will have symptoms for just a short time right before or right after I take the mirapex. Maybe I need to take the mirapex earlier. I hope you find what works for you. It really is a trial and error thing. BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi

I think 25 mg is a very low dosage indeed. Im on Pregabalin 75 mg one in the morning and one at night time. Hoping next time I see dr about them I will be able to go on one 3 times a day. But, at first, when I started taking them boy they knock you out ......lol. Even now I find I have bad days and good days nights included. 0ther ailments too.

love gill (UK)