I can't stop...

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
woodsie357

I can't stop...

Post by woodsie357 »

I can't stop crying when ever I go to the doctor.

I'm going to see Dr. Earley on April 7th, and I need some tips on how not to ball my eyes out. I can barley talk because of the crying.

I bring everything in writing when I go, but I don't think he likes it read any of it. But with the cognitive problems I have a hard time understanding and answering his questions.

any tips?
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Bring someone with you to talk for you?
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'd agree with Susan.

If that's not possible, consider trying to enlist his empathy and help. You might, start the session by telling him this the very first thing. Let him know that you just can't always understand and follow things like you want, so you need to help yourself by putting things in writing.

Wouldn't it be great if was had a champion that went with us to these appointments? Someone who both understood the medical system AND us?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Bless you, Woodsie, you sound just like me. I was at the dentist yesterday, and during a lull, I cried my eyes out. I'm in a lot of pain, which keeps me from gathering my thoughts like I used to, and so I can't seem to say what I want to. I used to be sharp as a tack, people came to me for stuff, instead of the other way around.

I find myself getting nervous before I even get in the car to go to a doc appointment. As I go there, I'm all tensed up and don't realize it. My muscles are so tight, I can't get comfortable, and by the time I get home, I'm complete exhausted, like I ran there instead of driving there.

I, too, sometimes write things down. But a lot of times, wherever I go, things don't go exacty as planned, so I have to wing it, and I get lost in my conversations. It's like being on a main road, with little paths off it, and I go down the side lanes and get so interested in what's going on down there, I forget where the main road is.

By the way, the other day I noticed the muscles even tightened in my rear, and I've been wondering how come it hurts all the time, and that's why. The RLS and my bad back conspire to make war there.
GG
"It's not how old you are; it's how awful you feel."

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi everyone.... we all seem to be so alike. I work off so many lists, lists about lists. It used to be me, with my friends, who drove anywhere. It didn't matter if it was a new area.. never a problem.

I travelled (many years ago) with several connections to North Africa with a one year old child, about four pieces of luggage, a child's buggy.... how did I do it???

The thought now of a journey on my own with connections would worry me.

Yeah, no more sharpness. Fuddled, exhausted by 6pm. Lsoing my way in conversations and trying to cover it up.........
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

Thank you for your replies and your tips. As far as getting someone to go with me =( nodda... I couldn't even get my MIL to babysit my 2 year old for me. My husband didn't want to take work off due to the economy.

So I went by myself. I started the appointment off in an upbeat way, thanking Dr. Earley for his time, and telling him how lucky I was to be able to see him. I consider him the east coast version of Dr B.

I had brought in color charts of my RLS and my medications. He wasn't happy with how I took my meds. I can't blame him, I had taken my methadone every other day almost, not on purpose for the most part, but that if I took it later then 5pm I'd be awake all night long. So if it was after that time I'd just not take it. Then I think it was the water retention caused by methadone that made my hands feel as if they were being cut in half by a chainsaw. My carples are very sensitive. That's ultimately why I quit taking the methadone.... BUT could I remember to say that during the appointment? NOPE. Totally forgot about it until I was in the car driving home.

I did tear up during my appointment but I was able to keep it to a minimum.

I'm back on the methadone, he said that I've been on every single type of medication possible. Methadone was my last bet and he didn't know what else to do with me. He did explain a combination of my current meds that I can try, to minimize the stimulating effect of the methadone.

Because he is so good to me, I asked him if he too had RLS. He said no, he'd never felt it. He said his first patient was an RLS patient. And that he had a lot of empathy for RLS sufferers.

any tips on keeping water retention down. If my hands start hurting again I'm going to be screwed.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Wow, Woodsie, methadone makes you retain water? Can you take a diuretic? Otherwise all you can really do is cut down on salt and drink more fluids. Just start those fluids early in the day so that running to the potty doesn't keep you up all night.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, it does make my feet/lower legs swell, too. Fortunately, it's not much and it doesn't bother me. My last doc kept looking for it, do it must happen with this class (my new doctor pulls up my pant legs, too).

My old doc said that if it caused problems he'd prescribe a diuretic.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Woodsie,
The swelling is a relatively common side effect of some drugs, but after a while, a couple weeks or so, you do indeed get used to it, discomfort and all. If it bothers you in the meantime, take an aspirin or alka seltzer, it will reduce inflammation. Also, drink plenty of water when you take your med dose, to keep toxins moving thru your kidneys, offset side effects, and help dilute your medications. You could also get a cold wrap from the drugstore and put it on your wrists, it will reduce swelling too!

I also have the problem of, if I take some drugs too late at night, I can't sleep. So, I take them after dinner, and I do just fine that way. In general, I take my meds after breakfast, after snacks and lunch, then afternoon tea, and after dinner. The only time I take anything at bedtime is a piece of tranquilizer, but only if I abslutely cannot fall asleep, which is rarely.

Are you to take methadone three times or four times a day, or did the doc put "bedtime"? Just space it out so you get that last one shortly after dinner, as long as you get to sleep wtihin a few hours...if you're a night owl, take it just before the primetime TV starts at 8pm. That way you don't forget when to take stuff, and you don't take anything too close to bedtime.

I think all of us here can pretty much promise you that the methadone in time will do you a world of good, despite side effects, and if you try a few things I've mentioned here, as well as other people's tips, you'll get used to the stuff and it'll be well worth it. If all else fails, ask your doc to draw blood and check on your sugar and salt levels, as well as check your blood pressure...could be those are off a little and making this particular side effect worse, and he can treat that anomaly, and you'll be better with methadone in the end. Give it a few weeks this time before quitting.
GG
"It's not how old you are; it's how awful you feel."

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

once 3 hours before bedtime. He gave me permission to take a sleeping pill in addition to it at actual bedtime. I've now had 5 hour nights!!! 2 nights in a row. This coming week is spring break I'm hoping that my kids will sleep in and not wake me up so early maybe I can get an 8 hour night in there.

water water water, I must drink water.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Almost every opiates can cause edema (water retention). I used to get it bad sometimes with Vicodin when my dose got really up there, my ankles and feet would swell up noticeably, and I could tell when putting on shoes and socks.. every once in a while it would bother me enough to hurt, or at least I would feel that my legs were full / stretching with the water.

One of the best thing to combat it is to lay in bed with your feet elevated above the rest of your body.. Doesn't have to bee too high, just high enough that they are higher than the rest. A couple big fluffy pillows can usually do the trick. That'll make the water head back down towards the center of your body, and you'll be able to absorb it a lot better although yes, you can end up going to the bathroom for quite a bit..

I also get it from time to time with my methadone, when I start going over 25 - 30mg for more than a few days in a row, which thankfully now almost never happens. I haven't had to deal with it in quite some time..

Diuretics are also another good solution, as long as they are taken under doctors supervision, they are safe for getting rid of excess water. Although they can be prone to abuse by people who are self-conscious about their weight.