Serum Ferritin + Sleep Study

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
FormerMermaid

Serum Ferritin + Sleep Study

Post by FormerMermaid »

Hi everyone, I posted here http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=6685&highlight= a while back, I will have my sleep study tonight. Today I also got my blood results back from the lab, everything looks normal except my serum ferritin is 34, apparently this is on the low side and can cause increased severity of RLS. I haven't seen the doctor yet to discuss these, I guess I should wait to see him before doing anything like supplementing iron, right? Has anyone else had low ferritin and seen their RLS symptoms decrease after supplementing iron?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I only have a moment so forgive my short post - there are a bunch of posts about iron - a search might give you a broader understanding than what we post to you now.

You can take oral iron immediately since you know it's low. And, yes, some people do have it get better by taking iron.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

FM, I've had 2 series of iron infusions, and both times they have helped my RLS a bit, and especially my PLMD. The Ferritin level - RLS thing has been studied and it's been shown that increasing the ferritin level does help a lot of people, maybe even a majority. Some people even get complete relief. Of course there are also those who are not helped at all.

Best wishes with your sleep study.
Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Some points:

- RLS-clueful doctors usually say RLS patients ought to try getting serum ferritin up to 100 or so before ruling out iron supplementation as a treatment option. Some here have even gone up to 150 and gotten results there. Our "normal" is not the same as a normal person's "normal," so you can't go by the lab's normal-person-oriented summary. Do keep your doctor in the loop, though, as excessive iron can build up in muscle tissues (including the heart) and cause problems.

- Oral supplementation will work for many people. Some of us have a harder time absorbing iron in the gut, especially if we are on meds that reduce or neutralize acid, but it's still often possible. Some gastric syndromes also cause issues. Some people have a hard time stomaching the iron itself. So, failing that...

- Iron infusions, if you can get them despite risks, are expensive without insurance coverage, but the results are very fast and last months, so the cost may be worth the benefit. Don't forget that you can often haggle with a doctor if your income can't support the procedure.

I had two infusions a fea years back, and they got me out of a very low point quickly, which was important at the time. Now I maintain with oral iron. I keep mine around 100-110 and that helps me a lot.

Your mileage will vary...
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Alan

Post by Alan »

My sleep doctor recently stopped my iron supplementation because my hemoglobin was high, and I was unable to get my ferritin above 60 despite taking supplements for two years. (I started at ferritin of 13). I wasnt sure the iron was helping my RLS but it has gotten much worse since I stopped. I have gone back on (I tolerate oral iron well)--no result as yet. Has anyone else had worsening of RLS on stopping iron supplements?