RLS and CPAP

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
djohnso55

RLS and CPAP

Post by djohnso55 »

Has anyone had experience with CPAP? I was diagnosed with RLS and went on Requip and then went off of it and my family dr. then sent me to a sleep dr. The sleep dr. looked at my sleep study and said that everytime I moved my legs I snored, so he ordered another sleep study with CPAP to treat the snoring. I have been trying to use the CPAP and it is really hard to find the right mask etc. Today I went back to the dr. and he is going to put me on mirapax. Oh, I had been on Klonopin after stopping the Requip. During the sleep study the CPAP did controll the RLS along with Lunesta and Klonopin.
I am just wondering if the CPAP will work if I keep it up, also I am not excited about trying the Mirapax. My sleep has been horrible since trying the CPAP.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ruby slippers is - I hope she sees this and can pop in for an answer.

My hubby uses a bipap.

You said it worked during the study, so I guess I'd trust that. The Lunesta and the Klonopin were keeping the RLS at bay, hopefully the CPAP was keeping the leg movements away. Leg movements while sleeping can be caused by something similar to RLS, (but aren't considered RLS) it's called PLM, but it also can be caused by apnea. No way to know what is causing your leg movements, but again, since the CPAP controlled it, I'd trust that.

Bipap is easier to adjust to, according to my husband. He's used a machine for at least 7 years, I'd guess. Sometimes he still has leg movements, but he doesn't seem to awaken.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Chances are if it was Periodic Limb Movement, whoever gave you the klonopin just shut their own sleep test in the foot, as benzos often help PLMD, etc.

HeatherB

Post by HeatherB »

The only thing the CPAP machine is doing is forcing air into your lungs. (my mom is on a CPAP machine)
I don't know how having air forced into your lungs would help with RLS.
It may have helped you sleep because you were no longer snoring and waking yourself from it.?

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

I have never understood why a Dr would let you take your meds while doing a sleep study. the true picture of a sleep study can not be found unless you are off the meds you use to control this.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I'll leave all the rest alone for now and just talk about the CPAP. I have been on it for 3 years now and still have a love/hate relationship with it. In one way it might help RLS and PLMD only because it supposedly will help you sleep. Yes, it does force air into your nose but the purpose of that is to keep blood oxygen levels where they need to be and/or keep you breathing if you have apnea. When your oxygen levels drop or your body stops breathing, your brain signals you to wake up to correct those problems. If you are waking up many times each night (even though most of the times you aren't aware of being awake) that will make it even harder to deal with RLS and PLMD. You have even more problems keeping you awake than with RLS/PLMD alone.

I have tried several masks, different headgear and 4 sleep studies. I finally found a mask that works for me and most nights I do okay. Then there comes those nights that around 3:00 am I just have to tear it off and say "to he*# with it"! Just hang in there and keep trying until you find something that works. I'm using a full face mask now and like it much better.

As for using meds during a sleep study, I agree it would be better to do one without meds if possible. But if you have been on meds for awhile, you sure won't sleep if you can't take them. That's not a true picture either. There is lots that can be determined from a sleep study but it's hard to get a good one done.

I'm no expert in the CPAP area but don't mind at all sharing my experiences and support.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)