This is the cause of my RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
dogeyed

This is the cause of my RLS

Post by dogeyed »

Hello everyone

It's been a while since I've been to these boards. My life is in ruins. Doctors really don't get it, how devastating this disorder can be. And neither do the Social Security people. I cannot work and I'm sliding into the ditch.

But I think I know what caused my RLS. I injured my ankle and foot over a year ago. Within a month, the RLS started. I became a zombie by last spring and was given lots of drugs, but only one worked: Codeine. That stuff is miserable, but it keeps the RLS at bay.

Folks, think back on when your RLS started. That's what I did. I keep rough journals, and when I turned to that time period, that's when I realized it came right after the foot injury a month before. My idea is that if a person goofs up their leg or foot bad enough, the RLS starts. I think too the shoes we wear, the pavements we walk on, the busy life jumping in and out of cars, walking the length of long offices buildings, shopping in a Walmart, just all kinds of foot abuse exacerbates the problem.

Anyhow, my injury was severe. I actually think I broke my foot, and so did the nurse, but the Xray didn't show a break. They put me in an air cast for three months. The pain went away in the foot, but the RLS started up. I DON'T THINK MY FOOT HEALED RIGHT. I think it was broken and it did not heal up right. As long as I had the air cast on, I was okay with foot pain. But the RLS started in the calf and I just didn't make the connection since my foot had stopped hurting. Now my gait is entirely screwed, I have RLS in my whole body. My WHOLE BODY jumps sometimes, just sitting at the computer. The more I walk, the more the RLS acts up. Like everyone else, it doesn't hit until we are trying to rest and relax. It's almost like our leg muscles are overcompensating for an injury in the past, so when we rest, they spaz up in reaction. Maybe amputees get this sort of thing.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE A BAD FALL somewhere near the time the RLS started up? And Sleepy Owl, you should put this injury business in your survey. See if there's anyone limping out there like I do, using a cane, or broke their leg, or is an amputee, or can simply recall falling down when the RLS started up. Thanks. I would really like to hear if anyone has a similar story.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Aw, hi, Dogeyed--

What a story! I think I'm correct in saying that you seem to have "secondary" RLS, which I THINK was mentioned on the survey, but perhaps was not explained? I know that there are cases of people who get RLS after an injury/surgery/illness/medication who never had it before.

And frankly, I feel worse for you folks than for those of us who have "primary" (genetic/lifelong) RLS. Because it seems that even the worst of us primary RLS sufferers, because it's at least somewhat progressive in most of our cases, seem to have found SOME ways of coping over the years (though many primary cases here have been severe enough for medical treatment from a young age.) There was "something wrong" with us for a while before we figured out what, and usually before it got unbearable.

For you, to be just thrown into the "world" of RLS at such a severe state must truly be devastating! :cry:

I hope that some of the other secondary RLS sufferers here will find this thread and share their experiences. We've heard from some of them before, but it's always good when we can be reminded of pertinent specifics at the time when something's being discussed. Good thread, Dogeyed. Hang in there!

Sara