Mayo Clinic consultation cost

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
runkrun

Mayo Clinic consultation cost

Post by runkrun »

I just received my statement from my insurance company regarding the cost of a consultation with Dr Silber at Mayo Clinic. For the consultation only it was $ 465.00.(my sleep study was canceled)That does'nt include my flight, hotel and food. Even if I would of had to pay the consult out of pocket, it would have been well worth it! I needed validation of the severity of my disorder, emotional support, and his expertise regarding my medications. However, he did say my primary physician was doing a great job adjusting my meds. But the most important aspect was that when I took a copy of Mayo's algorhythm for RLS, she used it in prescribing my meds. He did give some suggestions, especially if I go through some rough periods or augment.I can't emphasize enough for the RLS sufferers out there, if your not getting adequate treatment, keep looking for a good primary doctor or neurologist. This is a miserable genetic disorder and you don't have to live in pain or uncontrollable symptoms.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thanks RKR. That may seem like a lot out of pocket, but to have a plan and someone to help you....it's priceless.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

D4

Post by D4 »

I've been curious on how your appointment with Dr. Silber went. He's my neurologist also.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

D4 - do you like him?

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

D4

Post by D4 »

ViewsAskew wrote:D4 - do you like him?

Yes, I'm so glad he's in my life! He was able to diagnose a very rare sleep disorder that I have in addition to RLS and PLMD which I knew I had. I probably couldn't have gotten diagnosed for that in very many places in the world because it's so rare. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done for that disorder, but at least someone finally put a name to it. He was able to get my RLS and PLMD under control by putting me on Vicodin. I had been through so many other things and nothing worked.

I had been telling my doctors for 20+ years that something was really wrong with me that I had to sleep so much and never felt rested. A few years ago, my asthma doctor listened to me and ordered a sleep study. I was diagnosed with RLS and PLMD, but felt like a guinea pig trying all the drugs. After augmenting on Requip, I started seeing a neurologist and after a few months he recommended that I go to Mayo Clinic because he'd never treated anybody like me. I am so thankful that he recognized his limitations. When I returned from Mayo Clinic with the diagnosis, he was shocked because he'd never even heard of that disorder.

I still see my local neurologist 2-3 times a year and Dr. Silber at Mayo once a year. After each visit, Dr. Silber sends my local neurologist a letter with his thoughts about my condition. That partnership works very well.

I have to take 2 flights to get to Rochester and stay in a hotel for 2 nights so my transportation costs are much higher than the doctor visit, but it's worth it.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Seems like he's one of he good guys. Thanks for sharing about him.

Managing Your RLS

runkrun

Post by runkrun »

D4.... Nice to know that we share the same physician. I was very impressed with Dr Silber. Again I repeat, I'm so grateful for all the information and validation I received from him regarding my RLS. So now I can stop looking for reasons why. No more Goggling, tests, physician hopping,diets, oils, supplements etc.. I thank God that I've come to a point of acceptance, keeping it simple and taking my medications. I don't always like the side effects from my medications, but my quality of life is so much better.

D4

Post by D4 »

runkrun - Yes, we are lucky that there are doctors like him and that we are both fortunate enough to be able to afford the costs of getting there.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

When I was at John Hopkins, Dr. Earley mentioned that there are so few doctors around who know how to properly prescribe medication for RLS. I live in NYC and have had a very hard time finding a doctor who will treat it.

If I had a hard time in a major city, I can't imagine how hard it is in smaller cities. If you have a good doctor nearby, you are fortunate.

Dale