When is the last time anyone here had.......

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Sometimes I just crash in the afternoon from sheer exhaustion. I usually go to sleep about 4 pm and get up about 11 pm. If I can avoid it, I don't take naps because my RLS acts up when I get up. It doesn't do that when I get up from a "night's sleep."

Dale

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I got up from a 10 minute nap (that's about average for me) and my RLS is really acting up. That's what happens when I take one of those snoozes.

Dale

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Yeah, me too. When I don't sleep at night, I end up crashing for 30-45 minutes when I get home from work. When I wake up, even though it's not time for RLS to ramp up, it'll be full-blown and I'll still be unmedicated. Annoying.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Strange, but when the RLS went away at night it began to creep in at naptime. Twenty minutes into it I am awake and walking. Even stranger is the fact that it only happens in naps I take after 3:00 pm. Before that time I am safe. Sometimes I take one Lortab at noon if I know I am gong to have a late nap. Some days I don't even take naps so I am not terribly distressed at this change in the pattern.

badnights

Post by badnights »

It's not all that strange tho, is it? RLS has a strong circadian component, which makes it worse at night. And it's brought on my rest, which is why it's worse during attempted naps. And it's better after a "night's" sleep because whenever your circadian morning is, that's when it's least stong.

But if you never had it during daytime naps before, eternityroad, then - you're taking Requip/ropinirole, right? - then the daytime nap symptoms could be the beginnings of augmentation.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

But if you never had it during daytime naps before, eternityroad, then - you're taking Requip/ropinirole, right? - then the daytime nap symptoms could be the beginnings of augmentation.

That had been mentioned several months ago by another member and truth to tell I am not that familiar with what is augmentation. If you know something about it maybe you might speak to it. the afternoon stuff is not a great concern because I usually get up and go about my afternoon activities and have no more problems...as long as I am not lying down. Maybe I should be more concerned about augmentation. Would love more of your input and maybe some articles or threads that address augmentation. Right now RLS is not depriving me of my night's sleep so I am not very concerned. If I should be please let me know. And thanx for your response.

Ken

badnights

Post by badnights »

Augementation is a paradoxical worsening of symptoms caused by the dopmaine agonist class of drugs in some people. It is more likley to happen at higher doses, and once you have it, increasing the dose increases the augmentation. Sometime is can be controlled (for a while anyway) by an additional, earlier dose. If you have augmenation, your regular evening dose still works, but you start developing symptoms earlier in the evening, or in more body parts, or get more severe symptoms. It's augmentation if you experience

ALL OF:
  • initially positive response to treatment
  • increase in symptom severity on at least 5 days of the last week
  • no other reason for the increased severity
PLUS EITHER
  • symptom severity increases sometime after a dose increase and decreases sometime after a dose decrease (paradoxical response)
OR
  • earlier onset of symptoms during the 24hr day
Earlier onset means EITHER
- earlier onset by at least 4 hr
OR
- earlier onset by 2-4 hr PLUS one of (as compared to before treatment):
  • shorter duration of relief from treatment;
  • increased severity of symptoms;
  • spread of symptoms to other body parts (eg. arms); or
  • shorter latency to onset when at rest.

If it's not bothering you and it's been pretty much the same for months, just be aware of it so you'll notice if it gets worse, and know not to deal with it by taking bigger doses. If it is augmentation and it bothers you, sometimes you can temporarily go off the ropinirole, clear it out of your system, and start again at a lower dose. Or, you can switch to pramipexole (Mirapex); just because one drug in the DA class makes you augment doesn't mean the others will.

You can read about it in the RLS Foundation's medical bulletin or google the book by Buchfuhrer, Hening, and Kushida (Chapter 8).

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Beth,
Thank- you for writing this out. I will bookmark it and keep aware of the symptoms.

KgW

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Actually there is a brochure on augmentation that can be downloaded on www.rls.org.

Corrie