physio

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Polar Bear

physio

Post by Polar Bear »

I have always, well for about 20 years anyway, had discomfort with my neck and shoulders. Getting comfy when sitting watching tv not easy, can only sleep in one position, not good following ironing, desk work, etc. Problem mostly neck/right shoulder/into the arm. Can sometimes be just an ache, and sometimes the pain at the top centre of my spine would be unbearable to touch.

MRI has shown nerve compression but not enough to cause the symptoms that I have so consultant reckons it is mainly mechanical and tomorrow I start physio. There may also be acupuncture.

For many years also I would have had rls in my right shoulder/arm, more so recently. Strange thing is that sometimes when my legs are ok and 'medicated', my right arm can still occasionally have rls.

I feel that sometimes when I sit down to relax (huh... some chance) within a few minutes I can feel the rls start in my shoulder/arm and have begun to wonder if this could come from my neck problem.

Probably not because rls is to do with dopamine etc. but it certainly is a coincidence.

It will be interesting to see if the physiotherapy makes any difference to the arm rls.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

You probably remember this, but I have the same problem, pretty much verbatim. A slight bulge at C7/T1 on the MRI, due to constant misuse of, and nasty spasms in, my upper-right back/shoulder/neck.

I routinely get RLS (or at least RLS-like) issues in my right shoulder/pec/deltoid/bicep, often deep inside, like it's an inch inside my armpit. It's not always coincident with my flank/leg RLS, which for me might be due to a similar issue seen down in my lumbar spine.

So, in short, yeah, sounds reasonable to me. Physio might help loosen you up and reduce compression/bulging due to tension.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes Aiken, I do remember that you had issues with your back/neck/shoulder, when I did a post once before on a sort of related theme.

Mine I think is around C4/5 but I'll find out tomorrow (actually that is now today cos I'm up for a bit of a dander at 2.30 am)

Your term 'rls-like' issues covers my thoughts exactly cos it happens when I am sitting in a certain position. (That is not to say that I don't also sometimes have arm rls !!) but when I lean to the left slightly in a sitting position it does seem to trigger 'rls-like' symptoms - or maybe rls - I don't know anymore - Kinda confused about it.

Thing is, the tramadol which helps my legs, and my rls arms, doesn't do squat for the neck/centre spine pain.

(There are those who would say I'm a pain in the neck anyway - naaah, just kidding, I'm really quite nice)
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Had my first treatment with the physio this morning and was told that MRI showed there is nerve compression at C3/4 to the right, and to a lesser degree at C6/7 to the left.

I thought I wasn't too bad today until she started to massage.... yikes....
Then it was ultrasound followed by heat. Apparently the muscles are tight/tense from years of trying to protect.

Next appointment is in 2 days and if muscles have loosened enough she may proceed with the acupuncture, which I haven't experienced before. Luckily needles don't bother me.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hope is goes well, PB.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

If you have long-term tight muscles and your PT offers something called "astym", I recommend it. They basically use a specially-shaped tool to rough up/tenderize the surfaces of muscles, where you have tight scar tissue, and then they have you constantly stretch them out afterward so they'll heal with more slack. Worked really well for me.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks Aiken, I'll google this and find out a bit about it.

Ta
Betty

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Physio appt should have been last Thursday, but I was asked to help out for two days with 2 days work cover (I am recently retired), and so I changed the physio to this Tuesday coming.

Yesterday (Saturday) we had our usual annual bowling match with the Guards who are the Police Force in the South of Ireland. Our team is the PSNI, being the police force in the North of Ireland. For anyone who gets confused these are two different countries entirely.

This match has been ongoing now for about 10 years, and Happily we won the match and retained the trophy. It was followed last night by a dinner for both teams and music/dancing/a bit of individual singing by those who felt the urge.

The duo providing the music got it just right, the music was well geared for the age group, music from the 60's and 70's predominated. The visiting team only had a few of their wives along, so we 'northern' wives were briefly 'borrowed' for the odd dance.... generally by someone who thought they could jive.

So having had a lovely day and then having danced most of the night with hubby it had turned into a great and very merry event.

Having been borrowed to dance on quite a few occasions I was thoroughly enjoying myself. My dancing feet got lighter and I jived with the best of them. I also knew I was looking pretty cool..... hair coloured, spray tan, and wearing spandex. You ladies know what I mean. Feeling no pain at all, even tho I had only 4 drinks.

On the journey home hubby, son and myself were chatting about the fun evening we had, son who is home for a week from the RAF had come with us at short notice, says he gets a laugh at all the ' '''daddy/uncle at a wedding '''type of dancing'....thoroughly enjoys the craic. And there am I in the car , rotating the shoulder, rotating and stretching the neck and arm.

I should have known better, I mean, how long is it since I jived at all, let along on about 8 different dance sets last night.
At functions hubby and I are always on the dancefloor, however he doesn't jive which I use to love to do.

So, there I was like a tart (only joking) getting up with any offer to jive. I had a great time, I can still move like a young thing..... sort of........

Forgot how much it might aggravate my arm and shoulder. And it certainly did. I got home at 2am, and slept from 3 - 6.30. Woke up with a sore neck etc. So I at this moment have a heated wheat bag aroung my shoulder. which will ease it, and I'm thinking the dancing and the craic was worth my stiff neck etc.

Last night took me well back to my youth. Hubby and I never off the dance floor, and if we sat down, then I was lifted for a jive.

I self inflicted this morning's sore shoulder, but oh boy... I had fun.
I will now re-heat this wheat pack and get back to bed, at least my rls legs are tonight under control.

Roll on Tuesday 6 October - my physio appointment.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sounds to me as though it was worth every second of that wheat pack :-). I hope the pain gets better soon, though, so you can get some sleep.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

yes, when I went back to bed, I took a sleeping pill, and next I knew it was 11.30am. Hubby is still asleep, neck not too bad.

All the family for dinner today so just gotta get the roast into the oven etc. etc.
- while balancing the wheat pack :lol: :roll: :lol:
Betty

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi Polar Bear
Haven't logged in for ages not well on the Arthiritis front and other
ailments.
I have the same problem my Physion does Accupuntre lazer and massage.
M mmmmmmmmm does the trick.
Legs not too bed with medication.
But am so cold tonight. Am just about getting warm.
Gill (UK)
:wink:

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Waterloo.

Had my 2nd physio session yesterday, neck still full of knots, physio kneeded the end of some muscle that ends just at the very front of the shoulder/arm. Pretty sore. Then massaged at the neck, also pretty sore, followed by more ultrasound, and then acupuncture.

I did an hour's ironing (with a heated wheat bag across my shoulders)
Dare I say that something just might be easing things ever so slightly, fingers crossed :)
Betty