Just an update: Good news this time.

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
jessdell

Just an update: Good news this time.

Post by jessdell »

Hi everyone! A couple months ago I posted a thread "My doctor sucks...any suggestions?" Anyway I just wanted to thank you guys SO much for your encouragement and advice. I got an appointment with Dr. Rye and finally got to go today! It was the best experience I've ever had with a doctor. I feel so much better. He is truly a wonderful guy and for any other people in the Atlanta area let me further recommend him to you.

I met with Dr. Rye and one of his grad students. We talked about my first doctor, the idiot. We made fun of him, talked bad about him, basically totally discredited him. hah.

Then he’s examining me, which is more just watching me sit there while we talk, and he says he wants me to be part of their clinical study because I’m first of all, one of the youngest people they’ve seen and also one of the most severe. Additionally, most younger people have already been put on medicine for it, but since my doctor ever GAVE me any medicine, I’m a clean slate. He said that it made me awesome for the study because a lot of doubting doctors read about cases and watch videos of people and when they see the RLS symptoms they say, yeah well that could very well be because of the medication they’re taking. BUT I’m not taking any so when they see my crazy restlessness, they can’t make any excuses. ha thus i will be sticking it to idiot doctors everywhere, and hopefully someday my own. Anyway they videotaped me for a while, took my blood, and gave me an ankle bracelet to monitor movement during the night for their study. Several people came in to watch me during the appointment (I guess I really was a rare case?) Then for me personally they put me on Mirapex, which I start in 5 days (after wearing the ankle bracelet, because they want to be able to compare). Anyway I'm more than happy to be studied and hopefully one day doctors can find a cure for this. I go back in two months to see how the Mirapex is working.

Overall, it was just a relief and a great experience. Thank you SO MUCH to all of you who replied and advised me. I really just can't thank you all enough. Whether or not Mirapex ends up being effective, I already fell infinitely better just seeing a doctor who would give me the time of day.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

That's awesome. It's always good to hear about a great experience with a doctor, since we usually only hear about the idiot doctors out there. Thanks for letting us know how it went.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

He really rocks, doesn't he? And, how lucky to have gotten to him just at this point. Serendipity, eh?

I am sooooo happy for you. This really is wonderful.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Good luck
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

I hope it all works out for you. Especially the Mirapex, but just in case it doesn't, if you keep dealing with him you are sure to get the medication that you need, whatever it may turn out to be.

jessdell

Post by jessdell »

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I couldn't just write about one terrible doctor without acknowledging someone who is so completely the opposite. I just really feel we need to recognize the good ones as much as we can, since they seem to be few and far between sometimes when it comes to RLS.

He really rocks, doesn't he? And, how lucky to have gotten to him just at this point. Serendipity, eh?

Yes! He does! I've never felt more at ease with a doctor, especially considering how nervous I was to go through a potentially bad experience again. But he's just great! And yes, great timing too, since they're starting another round of clinical study this week. It's such a relief to see a great doctor amongst all these who just overlook our problem, isn't it?

And Zach--thanks, I hope so too! But you're right, I feel sure he isn't the type of guy to give up on a patient, so thank goodness for that.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'd give a LOT to have a regular doc like Dr Rye. Makes me want to move to Atlanta....well, not quite, but almost!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

runkrun

Post by runkrun »

jessdell, I remember your desperate post from a few months ago. I said some heartfelt prayers for you! I'm so happy you finally have some relief from this disorder and found a great physician.