And, now my turn

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thank you all, very much. I appreciate your concern and good wishes. Susan, BTW, how can you tell a 7 to stop futurizing? Be real! :lol: (enneagram reference for those who are wondering)

Two was required to stop the RLS, at least last night. I've a starting point and it DID stop it. So, that is good.

The headache upon waking is horrendous. I truly hope this isn't an every morning occurrence. But, I often had a similar version of this headache in the morning from methadone. So, maybe it's an opiate thing in my body.

Taking the first one of these made the RLS dim, but it was still in the background. When I took the second one, 5 hours later, the RLS has started again. I figured I'd need two at that point. I waited another hour to be a full 6 hours after the first dose and took what was the third dose. That was 4 AM. I got out all my propagating plants and checked for water and made a Neem solution to kill beastie fungus on a few. By 5 AM, I was totally awake and moving as if I'd slept for 8 hours and had just awakened. I don't know why, but opiates do this to me. I could just see me in the opiate den - everyone else stoned and staring into space and me cleaning around them.

The RLS was gone by 5:15 or so, but I had a huge mess on my counter - soil, leaves, plants - so I had to finish and clean the counter and floor. I went upstairs at 6 AM.

When I laid down I felt as if it was possible for the RLS to start. I didn't want to think about it and "wish" it into starting. I meditated a bit, which usually makes me fall asleep immediately, but I didn't. It probably took at least 15 minutes to fall asleep. I may have to try a Lyrica with it tonight to see if that doesn't counteract the effect.

I ended up pulling my left leg up in a hurdle stretch to avoid the potential RLS. That usually stops it for me if it's very mild. I finally fell asleep about 6:30.

I awakened at least 4 or 5 times, but that beats the 15-20 or more of a Mirapex sleep, lol. I fell back to sleep easily each time having no odd side effects. People moving into the condo unit next to me awakened me at around 1:30. I felt more awake than I normally would having only 7 hours of sleep after having very little sleep for many days. I stayed in bed for about another 45 minutes, as hubby was still in bed (he's been on my schedule to show support, lol) and we had the first snuggle that we've had in about 3 or 4 months.

The headache is very annoying and the RLS is apparent now. The RLS is very mild, though, so I won't need anything through the day as long as I am paying attention to something or can move around now and again.

Thankfully this allowed me to sleep. I'd prefer a less expensive option but I am NOT complaining.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

ViewsAskew wrote: Susan, BTW, how can you tell a 7 to stop futurizing? Be real! :lol: (enneagram reference for those who are wondering)

Yes, I knew exactly what I was saying and how impossible that is. And yet, as Eleanor Roosevelt said, "You must do the thing you think you cannot do."

Or as Bart Simpson (also a 7) said, "Shut up brain or I'll poke you with a Q-tip!" 8)
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Sorry folks...... but what is a 7. ??
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

For whatever reasons, some folks do experience what you go through with the whole making you cranky thing, although I rarely got into that kind of mood. Usually a handful of Vicodin had me right cheery and social. Or at least capable when I came out of my room, heh.

I've never got an outright energy boost from them, but I think it is one of those paradoxical things, where it starts to have other effects. I know the closest I get is to an endless state of unsleep. Too tired to do anything, too awake to fall asleep.. heh.

Glad that it helped with your symptoms. Maybe you should try some long acting OTC medicine for headaches and take it when you go to bed, etc to see if that helps in the morning.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That was one wicked headache. It bordered on migraine, but wasn't. It lasted about 18 hours, but thankfully eased this morning. A combination of prescription strength ibuprofen and lots of heat finally made a breakthrough.

I had some RLS after 7 hours sleep today, so that's good. If I can get 7 hours out of this regularly, that would be very nice. I'm still tired, but feel as if I have more energy today. I do think the methadone, for me, made me more lethargic than I'd have preferred. I was so grateful for relief that I ignored that as much as I could.

Dr B said to try to get 5 to 7 days out of this and then switch to the tramadol. I may have to use a tramadol/Mirapex combo and that doesn't thrill me, but it's still some sleep and better than none.

At least I have relief. That is a very nice thing. As all of you know, it feels incredibly horrible when you think there is no relief in sight and what you're trying isn't working.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Wow!!!! If I ever got 7 hours sleep (all at once, that is) I would be in total shock. I would have thought I died. I bet I haven't had 7 hours sleep in a row for 30 years. I sleep 2 or 3 hours then wake up. Since I have been on Mirapex, at least I can sleep some. And go back to sleep after I have woke up. It helps the RLS, but why do I still have this problem sleeping?????? BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Neco

Post by Neco »

Whatever the Methadone does, it works nice.. Since I've sobered up and been on a consistent dose I am almost always in bed at 8 or 9pm. It takes going to bed no later than that to actually make it out of bed at 4 or 5am when I get up for work.

I used to stay up later, but noticed when I started going to bed earlier I was napping less in the day and not almost driving onto the shoulder on my way home from work too... hehe

But it is nice to sleep uninterrupted for once. That used to be very rare for me. Now I only get up to eat a snack or go to the bathroom.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Nice to hear of someone getting a decent night's sleep. :D
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

PB, the enneagram is a personality typing system which is widely used for spiritual growth, and increasingly used in business settings to help people understand each other. Here's a link to my website on the topic (I have no idea why it's displaying the codes; something for me to fix). Both Ann and I are 7s:

Reference
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Betty/WV wrote:Wow!!!! If I ever got 7 hours sleep (all at once, that is) I would be in total shock. I would have thought I died. I bet I haven't had 7 hours sleep in a row for 30 years. I sleep 2 or 3 hours then wake up. Since I have been on Mirapex, at least I can sleep some. And go back to sleep after I have woke up. It helps the RLS, but why do I still have this problem sleeping?????? BETTY/WV

Oh, even with the methadone I don't get it in one fell swoop; on a great night I only awaken 3-5 times. On a good night only 5-10. It's the 10 or more nights I really dislike. Even if I am in the bed for 8 or 9 hours, I'm awakening so frequently it's very disturbed sleep. When I use Mirapex I always awaken at least 10 or more times and it takes up to a 1/2 to get back to sleep at least 1 to 3 of those times.

But, last night, with 7 hours, was a great night - I was only up 3 times before I woke up for good. Can't complain at all!

Managing Your RLS

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Ok, now I understand. You weren't sleeping straight through the night. I never wake up as many times as you. Maybe 2 or 3 or so. But my sleep habits are terrible, no schedule, I usually go to bed , or go to sleep anyway, at around midnight. One bad thing I do is watch TV in bed, during the evening. And I nap during the day, if I can. Since my surgery, it has been even worse, I usually get up very early, put the coffee on around 4 am. I'm just a mess. :roll: :roll: BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Well, wonder who's up about now? It's 5:15 AM and I got 90 minutes of sleep before the RLS hit.

I'm hoping I just don't have the proper dosing schedule down...

I can't take more until 7 AM. Not sure I want to go to sleep then, however. Then again, not sure I want to stay up with only 90 minutes of sleep if I have an option not to!

I didn't think this would be easy, but I was hoping for a little less difficult, if you know what I mean.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ann when my sleeping pattern was at its worst (if we discount the nights where I got absolutely no sleep), it was never as bad as what you are going through. All those wakenings are horrendous.

Susan, I will be interested to have a look at the personality typing system. Haven't time just now, but in the next day or so ........
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I am not sure if it's:

A) I've turned my clock around so the worst of the RLS is now midnight to 6 AM instead of 8 PM to 2 AM and so the meds are having a hard time resolving that level of RLS

B) I haven't figured out the best way to take the meds

C) the meds aren't going to work after all.

So far, I opt for B with part of A. Just not sure how to resolve it. If my RLS clock moved forward over the last year of me not sleeping well in the early morning, how the heck long will it take me to move it back??????

Too many things to think about, too little time. I'm going to make dinner and not think about it until I have to take some medication again....or so I say, anyway.

Managing Your RLS

Neco

Post by Neco »

Well, I know you hate the idea of taking more than one dose and all that, but I strongly recommend you at least try to get yourself a full days coverage for a day or two, more than anything just to confirm the meds do work.

Then you can at least have an idea of where to start reducing it.