is it all RLS?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks Mutsey
Hmmm.. I get more bloods done next week, ESR/SED and CRP had previously been very high, if ok, steroids start to reduce, and a referral to a rheumatologist. Doc says no need for calcium but I may start something myself.

If I could just get a night's sleep zzzzz....
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Hi Polar Bear: Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. Just wanted to tell you that you are in my thoughts. Hope everything goes well and you get the help you need.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

badnights

Post by badnights »

mutsy, you're not nuts no matter how nutso your symptoms are. Your doctors are looking blank because you've surpassed their knowledge. They don't know right off the bat how to help you - they have to think about it and try things that they know might not work.

I finally looked up GCA; polarbear, you were lucky to catch it and start treatment! I see that it's often associated with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR), which my mother was diagnosed with last year. She's been doing the prednisone thing and HATES it, has gained weight after successfully struggling not to for the first few months, & often has blood clots in her eyes (well, red bloody eyes - I don't know if they're clots). She started to lower the dosage but reached a floor (presumably temporary); she had to stop lowering because the pain came back.

I wonder what the relationship is among all these wierd disorders and RLS. It seems RLS never comes alone.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thank you Betty and Beth.
Yes the polymyalgia seems to be associated in about 50% and certainly my general aches appear much easier since starting the prednisone, tho doc (not my usual GP doc) says polymyalgia would be much more severe than my general aches, i.e. in polymyalgia one can hardly lift arms above shoulder level. If bloods are ok next week doc plans on starting to reduce slowly, and poss refer me to a rheumatologist. I just want off the steroid asap.

Betty, some time ago my usual doc talked about fibromyalgia being very common with RLS. For you to wait for a GP appointment until August just does not sound right.

I emailed Dr B regarding any connection between GCA and RLS and he says there is no known connection.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

mutsy67

Post by mutsy67 »

Two years ago I was DX with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and the ENT that did the surgery to remove the thyroid said that "No one gets just one autoimmune disease." And I believe him! I think I'm up to eight different DX now and they're still checking on some of the symptoms - so there may be more! All those DX in the past two years .... feels like a flood gate opened!

Thanks Beth - I do feel nuts at times but I know you're right.