GREAT STORY IN LATIMES

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
doety

GREAT STORY IN LATIMES

Post by doety »

Maybe everyone has already seen this -- but a good friend sent it this morning. The almighty LA Times has run an excellent article on RLS:

http://www.latimes.com/news/health/la-h ... 1011.story

I just jump for glee every time an important publication does this. Little by little, we're going to get the story out there and maybe the "shame" she talks about will lessen. NOTE: It ALWAYS helps when the doctors themselves have RLS. I know it's not nice to wish this curse on anyone, but I'm afraid I do. I want them motivated to find a cause and a cure!!

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

I was surprised to see RLS linked with Parkinsons. Everything I have read has said that RLS wasn't a form of Parkinsons or would lead to it.
Anyone else have any thoughts on this.? Have you heard the same thing?

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I had not seen it. Thanks!

I understand the point of noting whether or not doctors do or do not "consult with pharmaceutical companies" but it definitely felt uncomfortable to read it that way. It made me a bit sad that some people will immediately assume that these dedicated (and in my eyes, lifesaving) researchers are on the take or promoting RLS so they can make money consulting.

Of course, we all know that does happen. And, maybe I'm being blind to it here because I've met and talked to all of these people. I think they are completely genuine and honest.

Just yesterday I saw an article about how many drug companies have failed to provide ALL information when they report about their drugs. That made me mad; we need all the credibility we can get and then they are caught doing things that destroy any credibility.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mutsy67

Post by mutsy67 »

Hadn't read that - thanks for sharing. Have sent it to my 20 year old son who also suffers. He has serious allergies and asthma and often takes anti-histamines so it was good to see the connection in print.

doety

blaming

Post by doety »

Ann, I totally agree with you. And I've been guilty too of blaming an entire profession, instead of looking at the individuals involved. I do it in politics -- saying all politicians are awful, when in truth I know because I've worked with them, that some are incredibly dedicated and take pay cuts, lose sleep and time with their families because they think they can make a difference. Thank goodness for the docs that go after this stuff -- just 15 years ago, I felt like there was no hope. Today, I know there is.

Whenever someone says the drug companies made this up just to make some money!!!.....well, we need to be sure we speak up and say the truth.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

The more rls is publicised the better.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation