Diagnosis Problems

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Mary Pierce

Diagnosis Problems

Post by Mary Pierce »

Good morning all!
I am new to this site but have been aware of having RLS for over 40 years.
In more recent years, it worsened until I could only sleep with help from alcohol and OTC sleep aids. My initial diagnosis was at sleep clinic in Seattle. Diagnosis was rls - moving approx 50 times per hour - and periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD). The PLMD was causing some serious injuries. Once I "popped" out of bed, hit my arm on waterglass at bedside and went to ER for 34 stitches in forearm. My Dr at sleep clinic started me on mirapex and it was very helpful. I continued to abuse alcohol, however, and wound up with liver problems, too. I no longer drink any alcohol and feel victorious and healthier for that. The RLS was getting worse, however, so my doctor here sent me to a movement disorder clinic at OHSU in Portland, OR. Neurologists there were no help at all. Sleep clinics get my vote for diagnosis. Good luck, all. Mary

becat

Hi Mary

Post by becat »

Hi Mary and welcome,
Honestly thought I had replied to this post a couple of days ago, but as I see nadaaaaaaaaaaaa.
So sorry for that.
First Welcome to the group. A fine bunch of people around here. I hope you get comfortable and get to know everyone soon. Your thoughts and ideas are welcome around here. Post if you like on any thread. The exchange of information is the only way we truely learn about RLS and living with it.
I hope you have removed all the glass from around the bed.......dang, No sleep and stiches. :( Yup sounds like your pretty active at night.
I too go to a sleep doc for my RLS and am as please.....most times, as you are.
There is one Neuro I'd like to see, in Houston, but don't want the testing. I'm a baby about those big machines they use. They honestly hurt me. So, I've fought it out a couple of times with my doctor and I'm sure he feels the same about me.......we work together well now.
And don't feel bad, many of us have self medicated to find relief. It's not the best way to approach this disorder, but when help is not available, it happens. Glad to hear that it's not a problem for you anylonger.
I'm so sorry you had to find us, but glad your here. Look forward to getting to know you better.
Have a great day today.