Hip Surgery

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Scarlett46

Hip Surgery

Post by Scarlett46 »

I know that we all have trouble "sitting still" for any length of time. I've seen suggestions for long drives, flights, meetings, etc... But now I've got another dilemma.

Hip surgery is in my very near future. Both hips - about 3-6 months apart. Open hip surgery. I am so worried about what the surgery is going to do to my RLS! But even more worried about what the RLS is going to do to me after the surgery when I have to be immobile!

Has anyone had a similar experience? I will temporarily be taking some narcotics for the pain immediately after the surgery, just not sure if that will help the RLS enough - I've never used them for it.

My regular doctor is not very knowledgeable about RLS, although at least he believes in it... I haven't mentioned it to my ortho yet (I do plan to, but I want to be sure to be armed with some good information and suggestions before I do, in case he's not familiar either). I'm currently only taking .75mg of Requip at bedtime and for the most part, it helps. I still have bad days here and there though... Would it do any good to increase the dose - or just spread the 3 pills out throughout the day - temporarily?
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

I had to have a procedure that required sedation, and that doctor told me it might make my RLS act up, it was a combination of medications and so one of them must aggravate it. I took my normal drugs (but I don't take Requip or Mirapex) right on up to the procedure, by the way, just less than a normal dose the morning of...I was outpatient. Fortunately, their sedation did not crank up my legs. Since you will be telling the hip doc about the meds you are on, they will control what you can and cannot take while you're in the hospital, and when you get out, they can suggest what to do. But I can tell you this, most opiate type drugs, which they will probably use after your operation for pain control, will stop the RLS for the duration. Hope this sort of answers what you asked.
"It's not how old you are; it's how awful you feel."

badnights

Post by badnights »

if possible, download and print this PDF brochure by the RLS Foundation, called "Special considerations for the surgical team"

http://www.rls.org/Document.Doc?&id=21

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Scarlett, a few of our members have been through knee replacements in the last year. Hopefully they will chime in. You can also search on knee replacement and see if you can find the old threads.

Hope you get some ideas - it must be quite scary.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

Thanks everyone for responding. Thank you so much beth for the document! I have printed it out, and will bring it to my pre-op appointment with the surgeon.

gwaldron

hip surgery

Post by gwaldron »

Thanks to dogeyed for reply that "most opiate type drugs, which they will probably use after your operation for pain control, will stop the RLS for the duration." I too may face hip surgery and wanted to know if I would have the urge to stand up and walk immediately after surgery.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Everything should go smoothly if you tell your surgical team what meds are known to aggravate EKD (RLS) (or give them the RLSF pamphlet). And tell them what you're taking for it now, of course. Good luck! I hope it all goes well and the EKD leaves you alone while you heal.

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

I didn't have too much trouble after my surgery. Maybe just a few "episodes..." I took and was given my usual meds the whole time I was in the hospital, and recovered with Vicodin. Lying flat on my back was not fun, but I was forced to for the first few weeks with my leg in a CPM (continuous passive motion) machine. If you're interested, I've blogged about my experience and recovery here: Hip To Be Square?

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

I had a knee replacement last year. Dr. B told me to give them the list of meds that exacerbate RLS/EKD and tell them I am allergic to these meds. Because once I had a heart cath and the nurse gave me benadryl even as I was telling her not too. And I had already given them my Medical Alert card. Dr. B said it would get their attention if you said you are allergic to those meds.s and you really are because you will have a reaction. When the nurse gave me benadryl I was in misery for hours, and my one leg would actually jump in the air by its self. And after a heart cath you have to lie still for a good while, thank goodness most of the action was in the opposite leg. But when I had the whole knee replacement and told them I was allergic, they wrote all the meds on a red band and put on my arm. And I had no problems that time.

Wish you well.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand