RLS and fibromyalgia

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
rlsfirefly

RLS and fibromyalgia

Post by rlsfirefly »

Just read about a new study that shows a high incidence of people who have fibromyalgia also having RLS. I always thought my RLS came first so don't know how that fits with the study. anyone else have both? Seems like fibro is becoming much more accepted lately. Hopefully the same will prove true with RLS soon.

Firefly

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

My previous doctor told me once that RLS and fibro were in the same family of disorders. I think she was completely wrong on this, but there are some commonalities. Yes lots of people who have fibro also have RLS. Some people who have fibro are treated with dopamine agonists like Mirapex with good results.

There is also a large percentage of MS patients who have RLS. It seems like if you have one condition that messes with brain chemistry, that others follow.
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

At a time my doc considered that I may have fibro but it was never confirmed. He felt that my aches and pains corresponded with the fibro trigger points, and then also because of the higher numbers of fibro sufferers who also have rls.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think it usually goes like this...

Those of us who have RLS, have RLS regardless. We may get other things, too, and these may worsen the RLS (or not), but we had the RLS regardless. We often knew of the RLS first, though not always.

Those of us who don't have RLS normally, but then have conditions that cause RLS - diabetes, celiac disease, anemia, fibro, pregnancy, Parkinson's Disease, and many more. For many of these people the RLS goes away when the condition goes away.

The link usually goes one way only. If you have RLS, you're not more likely to get any of them. If you have one of them, you are more likely to get RLS.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

nice summary, Ann