Trigger testing

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
kickyknees

Trigger testing

Post by kickyknees »

I have all but discontinued use of my beloved hazelnut coffee, drinking about 2 cups of decaf every 3 weeks. Chocolate has not been as easy (would have thought it the other way around). Read on someone's post a few weeks ago about ice cream being a trigger. Well, guess what? I usually ate a small bowl--or three, ha!-- every night but always thought my late-nightly RLS onset due to the chocolate I might have had during the day. Now I am discovering it was most likely the ice cream.

Soooo, "scientist" that I am [not], I wondered what it was that made ice cream a trigger. Couldn't have been it's frozen quality, I thought, so it had to be an ingredient. I have become of late, very suspicious of ANYthing with corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup in foods. I even found it as an ingredient in canned diced tomatoes!

Believing in starting at the most obvious issue first when trying to solve a problem, within the past week I have eaten no ice cream with corn syrup in it (yes, difficult to find, but can be done, mostly the upscale brands which helps me eat less if I have to pay more) :roll: On 2 occasions, just as a control, I went back to the ice cream with corn syrup and voila! RLS within a few hours.

Today my "Nightwalkers" arrived and I read in there that someone had determined their trigger as food coloring ingredient FD&C yellow #5, with the reds also highly suspect.

Just knowing this has already made me more conscious of what I ingest. I may not have had any control over how I got it, but am beginning to realize that I may not have to be so heavily medicated. Continuing to eat as I have been is like putting on layers of clothing in the summertime and then turning down the air conditioning for comfort. Also, I've been more diligent about taking my iron tablets. I still hate that it seems I am taking meds all day long, but I much more dislike the alternative :!:

Beware Nerve Blocks! Given at rotator cuff surgery brought on WED/RLS. Since then have had TJR in each shoulder and one knee under General Anesthetic.
1mg ropinirole 4x/day
7.5mg hydrocodone 4x/day

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I've always heard that it has something to do with the mono and diglycerides. You could probably buy some kind of organic, all natural ice cream without those additives and be OK.
Susan

kickyknees

Post by kickyknees »

Thanks, Susan. I did buy 2 pints "organic" but got no results with one of them and good results with the second. Not saying it's not the mono and tri-di-glycerides, but i just went for the easiest ingredients first. And it seemed to work--even today--and I even indulged myself with my decaf hazelnut coffee. If corn syrup and high fructose c.s. proves not to be the problem, I'll check out what you've said.

Beware Nerve Blocks! Given at rotator cuff surgery brought on WED/RLS. Since then have had TJR in each shoulder and one knee under General Anesthetic.
1mg ropinirole 4x/day
7.5mg hydrocodone 4x/day

badnights

Post by badnights »

Good experiment, Kicky! I'm going to add ice cream to my shopping list and get some w/out corn syrup and give it a go!

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Thanks Kicky: I love a little ice cream now and then and it sets my RLS off immediately. I'll look for some organic .

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

sleepdancer

Ice cream

Post by sleepdancer »

All this about ice cream is new to me. Two family birthdays this weekend - guess I'll find out if it applies to me! :)

P.S. Betty, yes WV is wild and wonderful. My daughter moved to Glenville last year and I got to visit your lovely state.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Hi Sleepdancer: Ice cream is one thing that I am really aware of that isn't friendly to my RLS. (IN the food line) It will give me a bad case of RLS very soon after eating it. Certain over the counter meds. do the same thing, such as benadryl, it is a killer. There have been times when I would eat a little ice cream and it didn't bother me, now I wonder if it could be because it is one without the ingredients mentioned in the previous post.

West Virginia is a lovely state and I love living here. Right now the cold weather is setting in. But I like the changing of the seasons.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

kickyknees

Post by kickyknees »

Be aware of all the other foods with corn syrup (if it is the offender). Bread, non-diet soda pop, jellies, canned fruits/applesauce, even some spaghetti sauce, and I would imagine some salad dressings too.

If I might be allowed to hijack my own thread, 8 weeks out from knee replacement surgery, I was just told at a new therapy facility that scar massage keeps the underlying tissue from building up scarring, restricting movement. I had been massaging the scar above my knee, but it really hurt when the therapist tried to move the scar below the knee, as it was already beginning to "bind" up. Apparently not too late, so I'm now trying to loosen that underlying tissue. I would think the practice beneficial on any surgical scar. Just an FYI. Feel free to start a new thread.

1mg ropinirole 4x/day
7.5mg hydrocodone 4x/day