Ropinirole (Requip) and hair loss

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
kickyknees

Ropinirole (Requip) and hair loss

Post by kickyknees »

First let me say that I've had exceptional good luck for quite a few months on 1.5 mg Requip and 7.5 hydrocodone each, 3x daily. (That's 4.5mg Requip & 23.5mg hydroc.) I sleep well, and do pretty well with no episodes of RLS between doses as long as I remember to take them on time (which setting my cellphone alarm helps a lot).

The extreme sleepiness and nausea that was caused by formerly taking 100mg Tramadol (3xda) is nearly non-existent with its replacement, hydrocodone. I am pretty consistently getting 5-7 hours sleep per night. I know many of you would kill for that! (Well, not literally....)

Therefore, what I'm going to say is now my biggest problem, I'm sure will be perceived by many as....WTF???

I became aware of losing massive amounts of hair quite a few months ago. I attributed initially to stress, but realized I actually had nearly NONE in my life. Then blamed genetics since my mom's hair thinned a lot--but I always thought I took after my dad's side of the family. A few days ago I started doing the trusty web research and discovered that hair loss was a side effect of ropinirole.

I want to insert here that I don't have a lot going for me physically, except my smile and my formerly thick and dark hair (little gray even at age 67). Therefore perhaps there might be one of you who can sympathize with my situation of such thinning hair at so young (ha!) an age. I have no doubts it is due to the ropinirole (Requip).

I did a search on this site and found 8 posts from 2004-2008 where becat, rubyslipper, jan3213 and sardsy75 discussed hair loss. The drugs mentioned were Requip, Mirapex, Cabergolin, and Gabapentin and Clonzepam.

QUESTION: Has anyone else had this effect you can attribute directly to taking these drugs, and, much as I'd hate to switch, has anyone heard of any drug substitutes for these very effective ones that might not produce this side effect? :( Also, feel free to offer advice. Is a wig to be my only recourse? Thanks, all.

Beware Nerve Blocks! Given at rotator cuff surgery brought on WED/RLS. Since then have had TJR in each shoulder and one knee under General Anesthetic.
1mg ropinirole 4x/day
7.5mg hydrocodone 4x/day

Neco

Post by Neco »

The only advice I could give you is the discuss weening yourself off the requip, with your doctor - and letting the opiates handle your treatment completely.

You'd need to use a stronger opiate than Hydrocodone to make it through the DA withdrawl period, something like Oxycodone, but you potentially go back to just Hydrocodone afterwards if your RLS calms down a lot.

Otherwise, you would be looking at taking something like Oxycodone, if its a question of all day symptoms, and you can afford it, Oxycontin or MS Contin would probably be suitable as they are controlled-release medications that should last 12 hours or so per dose.

It's all up to how you want to handle the hair loss, though.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That sux, Kicky. I remember when Becat, Sarsdy and others were talking about it.

Hopefully it stops when you stop the meds and the hair comes back :-).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I agree, stop the Requip and try to handle it all with the hydrocodone.

kickyknees

Post by kickyknees »

Thanks guys. I know it seems a minor issue when compared with most of you guys that can't sleep more than 2 hours at a time. I guess there's a time to let go of some of that pride. At least if I were on chemo, I'd know that the hair would grow back. My neuro was very agreeable about letting me stay on hydrocodone after my knee surgery since it was working so well with my DA. I'm not sure what he'll say about going fully on it or a stronger one. But I can always get in to see him right away and he's happy to charge back to my Medicare his $143 office visit :wink:

Beware Nerve Blocks! Given at rotator cuff surgery brought on WED/RLS. Since then have had TJR in each shoulder and one knee under General Anesthetic.
1mg ropinirole 4x/day
7.5mg hydrocodone 4x/day

badnights

Post by badnights »

Hair loss may sound trivial, but it can be quite a blow to a woman's self-esteem at ANY age. If you can avoid it, avoid it!

Polar Bear

Re: Ropinirole (Requip) and hair loss

Post by Polar Bear »

Bumping this post - a member has been trying to locate it.
Trust this helps.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

kickyknees

Post by kickyknees »

I suppose I should give an update since I'm the OP. Making virtually no changes in meds, it seemed my hair was starting to thicken up again shortly after my last post. Guess what? Around Thanksgiving 2011, it started falling out again and is now growing in again. My annual molt? I've never lost as much hair at every single shampooing as I do in those several months at the end of the year, now two years in the running. It seems we look to our meds when problems arise. In this case, it may have been stress originally, but surely my adult (and jobless) daughter returning home to live in mid-year was not the reason for the stress in 2011 :-)

1mg ropinirole 4x/day
7.5mg hydrocodone 4x/day

badnights

Post by badnights »

A few years ago, I began to have heart-pounding episodes that were diagnosed as "anxiety attacks". They only ever started when my son was doing something that made me insane with worry for his future. ya. child worries. Big stressors.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

rthom

Post by rthom »

Here's another thought, my wife just about lost her mind over loosing her hair (she has very fine hair--needs every last one), anyway it was due to mercury in her diet--too much canned tuna, and salmon. Trying to stay healthy she ate it 5 or so times a week. Ended up really sick and loosing her hair was one of the first symptoms. Hope this applies to no one but keep an eye on it, cause you never know how things affect us sometimes.

rthom

Post by rthom »

Thanks polarbearGeneral Topics

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My pleasure :D
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

holy crackee. mercury. I LOVE tuna but I've been trying to avoid it lately for that very reason.

I wonder if it could have caused my RLS.... haha I always wonder stuff like that. :(

is the mercury eliminated from the body after a while?
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

rthom

Post by rthom »

I'm not sure if all of it does but alot has been flushed from catherines as she has been diligent in flushing hers. Her hair also started to re-grow and the other symptoms mostly cleared up also. It nearly ruinrd her--she had to go off work for months and had she not figured it out she likely would be off life for good. BUT ALL IS WELL! :clap:

badnights

Post by badnights »

whew! nuts.