new here, with question

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
wigglypain

Post by wigglypain »

ViewsAskew wrote:For me, Mirapex caused it to move to the arms....any dopamine agonist taken to the point of significant augmentation (and it can happen fast) seems to cause this. For most of us, once it's progressed to new body parts, it stays there even if we stop the drugs.

It's sad to say that one of my many fired :x Neurologist actually told me that the pain or augmentation symptoms never remain after the offended medication has been stopped. Yea well it did with me. He was dropped right after that statement. Cause I have never been "RIGHT" :wink: ever since. Its good to be back on the site. Been awhile since I visited.
Wiggly Pain
ems2rn@gmail.com

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wiggly, I've been told the same! the logic was that the disease simply progressed over that time period and it would have been like this anyway.

Bollocks.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi i'd like to add a wee bit too i've not been on any of the rls meds but have rls in my legs , arms and body.it started in my legs when I was about seven years old as crawly feelings with the need to move ....over time it has progressed and is extreme pain and need to move.

So does it progress like this in some people and not others and I wonder why.

My pain clinic doctor never refers to it as rls she always says the pain of restless body syndrome....which to me seems so much more sensible (for me anyway) when she introduces me to new doctors.
sleep is not only a dream

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Moonlight, just wondering why you have never tried any of the rls medications?
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

Hi moonlight
It's definitely true that the disease doesn't progress the same in everyone. That's probably due to two reasons. One is that there seem to a number of different groups of genes that contribute to RLS, resulting in a number of different variants of the disease in people - for instance, some people feel their sensations as pain and others don't experience them as pain. So the different sub-types of the disease might progress differently.

Second, there are environmental factors that undoubtedly alter the course of the disease but I don't think anyone knows much about them. Don't drink coffee is a simple example.. ... but maybe there's something else, like don't eat soy or don't live near pesticides (just crazy examples), something that alters the course of the disease over the long term. (Wish I knew what!)

I'm assuming you're on pain-killer meds of some kind because you have a pain doctor. Do you see her for the RLS? If you're on opiods, those are regarded as RLS meds.

PS Your pain doc is going to love the new name for RLS! (Ekbom Disease)