Back after a break

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
slyemm

Back after a break

Post by slyemm »

I first found this discussion list a few months ago and found it very helpful then. And I still find it very helpful now! I've been a bit caught up in my life in the past 5 weeks to be able to keep up with everyone, but I've just had a quick scan through and notice lots of new people. I hope everyone is finding the support they need. Both here and at the doctors office!

I was absent for a few weeks because I had a hysterectomy on the 8th of February. I spent my 39th birthday having blood tests and visiting the doctor :? I had the surgery for a number of reasons, but one of the motivating factors was that I'm hoping *eventually* my iron levels will get a chance to build to something vaguely close to normal and perhaps this might one day improve my rls! So far it hasn't helped. I had complications with the surgery (not related to rls) and ended up back in theatre 9 days later. I also bled a lot during the first surgery with my iron levels dropping to 7.2. No idea what my ferritin levels are. But as they were only 4 the last time they were checked, I can't imagine that they're tremendous right now! I really wish I'd opted for the blood transfusion after the surgery. Getting adequate iron through dietary means alone is extraordinarily difficult and iron tablets make me really ill.

But the good news is I have finally stopped bleeding and it will never start again and so over the next few months my iron should build and I'm crossing all my fingers and toes in the hope that it will help the rls!

My rls is not as severe as many on this list has described. I certainly don't have pain - thank goodness - although I do notice significant aches frequently. It totally disrupts my sleep however and I'm finding I'm only able to sleep after about 4am at the moment. Not very pleasant when I have to be up at 7am each day!

I didn't sleep in the hospital at all - despite the sleeping tablets they gave me. Although morphine made me so stoned I didn't really care if I was asleep or awake ......

The first three weeks after the surgery I was so ill and so anaemic that the rls didn't seem to disrupt my sleep as much as usual. Now that I'm getting better it's returning with a vengeance and driving me nuts. At this point in time I have never taken medications but I've received a list of medications available in australia for rls from someone at the australian rls organisation so I'm going to discuss these options with my doctor after easter. Until then I guess I'll just be typing long rambling dialogues in the middle of the night that say very little and mean even less to people that hopefully understand a lot!

To anyone that read all that - thanks for listening!

Take care,
Simone

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Welcome back, Simone. Hospital experiences are usually not the best of times but can be brutal to those of use with RLS. Glad you have a list of meds to take that you can discuss with your doctor. Sometimes there is no other truly feasible option in order to have any quality of life.

Ramble away :lol:. We'll be here rambling with you whether or not any of us are making sens.

Ann

becat

Good Day and Welcome Back

Post by becat »

It is so good to see your name Simone.
You have been thought of often. I was happy to see that your posted today.
I am glad to hear that your on the road to recovery with the surgery. A second one Huh? Totally sorry to hear about the RLS and sleeping. You certainly need the healing rest right now.
Are you back to playing again or is that on hold still?
You know that we don't look at any post as a ramble. Vent away as much as you like to. Most of us will be up reading it anyway.
I would have to agree that trying to raise iron levels without the pills is a slow process, possibly too slow for many. It will be interesting to see if it rises with the help of surgery. Has to be a plus considering what you've been through already. Got everything crossed for you.
I know your not happy about looking into meddications, but you have to stay open to the idea. I think most of us would choose no meds. if we could. We never heard from Nadia, but I hope that the Q of L statements we sent helped in what is available to you Down Under. I know they were talking about it in Feb.. Hopefully you have full choices of what there is....if you need to have medications.
So glad to see you around.
Stay well and hugs from the USA.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Welcome back, Simone!

And congratulations on your new-found "womanly freedom". :wink: Hope that it's an improvement in all the "regular" ways, whether or not it helps the RLS long-term.

Take good care!
Sara :D

slyemm

Post by slyemm »

Thankyou for your kind thoughts! Yep - still playing Becat! (I'm a musician - flautist) and I have some major concerts coming up so sleep deprivation is not high on my list of fun things right now! It definitely impacts my playing - if for no other reason than my motivation to practise goes out the window!

The list of medications available here that I was given is as follows:

Permax, Cabaser and a new one with a special indication for RLS, Repreve.

Gosh - that's a shorter list than I'd remembered! They are probably the same as the things you all talk about but with different brand names. Yes? I think I've heard you all talk about repreve before .... But not the other two. How do I find out what they actually are? Anybody know?!

The list of recommended doctors in my state is zero so I've been asked to recommend someone if I find them. I'll test my family doctor out first. He's usually very supportive and understanding so it will be interesting to see his response when I present him with a list of drugs!

Aside from that I don't know what to do. And I'm tired - very very tired! I slept in this morning (not surprising!) and the kids didn't wake up until 8:04am - and they woke me at the same time. That would be fine if it weren't for the fact they leave for school at 8:20am! Things were a bit hectic for 15 minutes! I never set my alarm because I always wake at 7am - regardless of the night before. But today I didn't. Not sure what happened there! Not a great start to the day. I got an extra hours sleep though!

I'll quit rambling now .....

Take care,
Simone