rls coronary artery disease

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
snowbound

rls coronary artery disease

Post by snowbound »

Hi all, been awhile.

Not sure if this is new info but just saw this article on the net,

"According to the recent conducted research by Dr. Arshad Jahangir, who is known as the professor of Mayo clinic, people with Restless Leg Syndrome are more prone of developing a heart disorder. Restless Leg syndrome is referred to as a neurological disorder and is identified by an irresistible urge to move one's legs. This way, people have more risk of getting their heart muscles thickened and over a period of time they can suffer a serious heart condition. In fact, according to Dr. Arshad, Restless Leg Syndrome is the most common disease that no one has ever heard of.

For conducting this study, around 584 patients were diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome and all of them were referred to an overnight sleep clinic. Further it was found that males, older people and those having a higher incidence of coronary artery disease move their legs more frequently while asleep.

It has been also stated by the doctors that people with a thickening heart muscles are at a greater risk for developing heart problems. In this regard, Jahangir emphasizing people with such syndrome to discuss their health condition with their doctors also disclosed ''What is new about this study is that it appears Restless Leg Syndrome is another risk factor that may predispose patients to and lead to more complications of left ventricular hypertrophy”.

http://topnews.net.nz/content/213422-re ... t-disorder

Apologies if already posted.
A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one. ~ J. Pierpoint Morgan

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Hello Snowbound: Interesting, I just read an article in our local paper "Restless Legs May Be Heart Risk Sign".. This article also quoted Dr.Jahangir from Mayo Clinic. (on heart thickening) I know that Mayo Clinic has a correct understanding of what RLS/EKD is because of the Mayo CLinic Algorithm. Which you can find here on RLS.org. But this article states " People with frequent leg movement DURING SLEEP were more likely to have thick hearts ......." Leg movement DURING SLEEP isn't RLS/EKD it is PLMD. Another quote from that article is the old premise that "Some doctors think its seriousness has been exaggerated, possibly to help sell treatments." I would like for some of these doctors to have RLS?EKD just for a few days and see if they change their thinking. It RLS/EKD was referred to as a "nuisance"--------HAH---------Walking the floor all night, crying because you are so tired and yet can't rest---some RLSers think about killing theirselves because they can't stand living with this "nuisance" any more...Having no quality of life. And on and on......

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I, too, saw this and it just about made me angry.

As Betty noted, movement in sleep are NOT EkD/RLS. Many people have PLMs that do not have RLS - what about them? And, who is this doctor that he doesn't know the difference?

It did occur to me that they did only look at people with RLS, so the participants probably all did have RLS. And 80% of those with RLS have PLMs. But they certainly didn't distinguish the PLM part, so you have no idea if the author who wrote this got it wrong or the study author did.

The wording was also annoying. Nuisance my foot...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I thought this article provided a good summary of the study:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/la ... 5644.story
Looks like the researchers are referring to EKD and PLMs as one and the same.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

The related article in the Chicago Tribune tried to correct or add to the article that some of us read. About EKD/RLS and heart attacks. In brief the article said, that Dr. Arshad Jahangir and his associates(at the Scottsdale, Arizona- Mayo Clinic) had hooked up electrical recording devices to peoples legs to record the # of times people doing a sleep study had a ''TWITCH" A "TWITCH" REALLY????? I wouldn't call what I have experienced for over 40 years as twitches.

This is why we can't get adequate treatment. The doctors don't even know the basics, like---the fact that there is a difference between EKD/RLS.and PLMD. EKD occurs when you are awake and keeps you from sleeping. PLMD occurs when you are sleeping and usually you don't know its happening.

I think it would be a good idea to write letters to this doctor at Mayo and express our feelings. I know these articles made me mad. Maybe we could enlighten him about a few facts about EKD/RLS. Can you imagine, he even referred to EKD as a nuisance. I'm even having a hard time typing this post because of this "nuisance". I am standing up typing because this "nuisance" won't allow me to sit down. And I'm having a hard time concentrating because of this "nuisance."

Another bad comment was "doctors even doubted that was a real desease"

We could probably email this doctor.

I hope I didn't make to many mistakes, it took me forever to type this because I didn't sleep hardly any last night and I have a hard time thinking straight. If they only knew how this disease affects our quality of life.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

badnights

Post by badnights »

I think there are two problems, one with the doctor not knowing the difference between EkD and PLMD, and the other with the author of the Chicago Tribune article not undestanding his obviously perfunctory research. We should write to both of them. Do it Betty, for me and all of us. I am so tired. Omg I have an obligation to do it too. :(

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

bethf: You are right about the Chicago Tribune being responsible also. But I think it would be more meaningful if all of us, or alot of us, anyway. Would write letters. I think I will email, if I can. I haven't been feeling well and have sort of been a zombie. But starting to feel some better.

Take care. BETTY/WV

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Bethf: The Chicago Tribune may be more responsible than Dr. Jahangir or Mayo Clinic. I went to the site---Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, AZ and then typed in Dr. Arshad in the search box. Then from there I found RLS and clicked on that and the article was very accurate as far as I could see with a quick read. (I'm ready for bed, I'm so exhausted. Looks like the Tribune put their spin on it. I don't know if the article I read was Dr. Jahangir or not, it may have been Mayo Clinics views.

BETTY/WV

badnights

Post by badnights »

Maybe we can figure it out when we're not so tired. We should do something about it, for sure. I will try to follow your links on the Mayo site sometime when I have a brain.