Is RLS a cause of low iron?

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
xristina47

Post by xristina47 »

Thank you Ann for looking up that info about Vitamin D2 and vitamin D3. That helps to make things clearer.
Re. iron supplements, it is interesting, Andrea, that you are taking ferrous glutonate instead of ferrous sulphate. I had wondered if that might be a better option for me too, as I have a history of iron sulphate causing stomach and esophogal problems, (see my post above). I'll ask my doctor and see what she says. There's also Ferrous Fumerate, apparently. Anyone know if that's of any interest to us? I'm really pleased to hear that your symptoms are less now, Andrea - it gives me hope that carefully monitored iron treatment can help considerably in controlling this mysterious WED.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

As far as I know, the type of iron isn't important to the WED/RLS...but that doesn't mean it's not true! I think most of us just take whatever we can tolerate, trying sulphate first simply because it is absorbed better, so the faster you get it in, the better - but, as I said, only if you can tolerate it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

xristina47

Post by xristina47 »

Oh, I didn't know that ferrous sulphate is absorbed better than ferrous glutonate. You area mine of information, Ann. Thank you! It's great to be able to talk to someone like you. Wish my poor Dad, (now deceased), who suffered from WED in the EXTREME, had had access to a forum like this! How he would have appreciated it!