15 hour flight

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
libby richards

15 hour flight

Post by libby richards »

I'm 67 and am flying to Taiwan to see my son and his family. I'm very concerned about my rls as I won't beable to lie down flat and do stretches which is the only thing that relieves it. Two years ago I was on the bus for 14 hours and almost went crazy. I had to keep standing and pacing and couldn't lie down. Any suggestions concerning the flight? Thanks, Libby :oops:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, Libby, you have my empathy. Do you take any drugs for the RLS? If you don't maybe you could try a benzo for the trip. If you do, I'd take more or add a benzo to your regimen. I have a feeling most of us avoid long flights, but maybe someone will have some better ideas than mine.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it goes.

Ann

becat

Hi Libby

Post by becat »

Hi Libby and welcome.

I copied this information below from the Southern California RLS group. I thought you may find it helpful. I think your a brave woman, I'm not sure I could make that trip without the same fears. But I hope you have the best time. There are tons of things you can do during this flight. My personal favorites would be medication. Big Time. Then I'd sleep as much as possible. BUT, let's help you out first.....
Ann, is probably right in my opinion with this.. Your medication could truely help you out. Pain killers or the benzos would be likely your best bet. Do you take any dopamine medications. Some before, during and after would be in order. I would certainly talk to my doctor, maybe he or she would give you something extra for the flight.

NEWS for Airplane Traveling RLS Patients
Your RLS symptoms -- an almost irresistible urge to move your legs due to sensations that are worse during inactivity -- may be a disability that qualifies you to request an aisle seat during air travel. A provision of the Air Carriers Access Act, 14 Code of Federal Regulations 382.38(c) provides that if you identify yourself to an air carrier "that assigns seats in advance" (not all airlines do) as a passenger with a disability "needing a seat assignment accommodation in order to access and use the carrier's air transportation services," then you will be afforded consideration in your seat assignment.

There is a wonderful site that could possible give you some mental tricks for coping with this flight. Jill Gunzel's RLS rebel site has great non-medicational ideas just this trip.

http://members.cox.net/gunzel/index.html

I hope this helps. I really hope your trip is a fun one. ALways nice to see family.

libby richards

Post by libby richards »

thanks everybody for the useful information and the support. I'll look into the airline seating. The doctor put me on mirapex 25 mg and it helped alot, first time I've slept decently in years. I go to the doctor next week to discuss the trip and will mention the medication one of you suggested. I do relaxing, meditation, and stretch exercises everyday. Thanks again and will let you kow what I find out. Terrorists and plane crashes don't scare me but rls on a long plane trip does. Libby

Sleepyhead

Hi Libby

Post by Sleepyhead »

A few years ago I went to Ireland with my mother & sister (also a 15 hour plane trip)I was taking Mirapex 25mg 3xday at the time and I just doubled the dose on traveleing day (per my Dr. of course). I always try to request seating in the "bulk head" section of the plane because of extra leg room and no one is seated in front of you. You can actually put your feet up on the bulk head and bounce your legs in an emergency when you can't get up and move around. I always think that other people on the plane must think that I am sick because I am always running to the bathroom so I can do leg calisthenics in there. On the trip to Ireland, we traveled on an L-1011 which has some extra space where the crew prepares meals, etc. I spent alot of time visiting back there & just generally standing up & stretching. I often have thought since that trip, that if it were not for the fact that I finally had medications that worked for me, there would have been no way I would have considered going. As it was I was able to meet a family relative that passed away three months after we returned. I hope you have a great trip!
Sleepyhead