50 diseases/conditions that feature a higher rate of RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Dave, weren't you posting some time ago about some other CURE for WED? Seems I remember something about that. I will have to go back and look for those posts. Does anyone else remember those posts. Ummmm!! :shock: :shock:

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

davew

re: inflammation as the primary cause of RLS

Post by davew »

There are a few disclaimers about the herbs throughout the website. I emphasize the importance to consult with your pharmacist if you're pregnant, on other medications or are scheduled for an operation.

I will remove the sentence about herbs having no side effects just to avoid any controversy.

I'm not even sure if pure licorice root is available anymore in commercial health food stores? The licorice I recommend is Licorice DGL, which has the questionable component removed.

As far as the 88% of the conditions being inflammatory (as compared to 100%) in the upcoming study, here are the exceptions:

Essential Tremor Movement Disorder is one of the conditions listed as not inflammatory. This is due to the fact that no real testing has been done to determine if it is or not. A similar condition, Parkinson's is known to be inflammatory. Also, ET is significantly higher in elderly patients, and those with Azheimer's ... which are both inflammatory conditions.

ET is so closely linked to PD that there is often difficulty determining which condition a person has:

"A new diagnostic test to distinguish tremulous Parkinson's disease from advanced essential tremor." Muthuraman M, Hossen A, Heute U, Deuschl G, Raethjen J. Mov Disord. 2011 Apr 25. doi: 10.1002/mds.23672.

Gastric resection is another situation listed as non inflammatory. It's not really a condition, but a procedure.

Here's the definition ...

Etymology: Gk, gaster, stomach; L, re + secare, to cut
the surgical removal of part or all of the stomach, usually performed in the treatment of stomach cancer or intractable peptic ulcer.

Both cancer and ulcers are inflammatory conditions.

The third condition was Bruxism, which is the grinding of teeth at night.

Here's an excerpt from that study:

"In logistic regression, frequent bruxism (p < 0.05) and older age (p < 0.05) were significantly positively associated with RLS. Dissatisfaction with one's current workshift schedule (p < 0.05) and RLS (p < 0.05) were significantly positively associated with frequent bruxism, while age (p < 0.05) was significantly negatively associated. In conclusion, perceived bruxism may be a sign of a stressful situation or dissatisfaction, while RLS as a more stable trait may in itself negatively affect sleep quality and further enhance the problem."

Again, not really a medical condition. It's more of a lifestyle/stress related condition.

Stress is an obvious breeding ground for inflammation. Scientists have now found a definite link:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 133323.htm

You have to realize that scientists are extremely careful and guarded in what they say because when a paper like this is released, they know it is going to be picked to the bone by other scientists.

Other scientists will then launch their own studies, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, to either confirm or deny the findings found in the study in question.

If the study is supported, then the fun begins, and scientists will start testing anti-inflammatories on RLS patients. Unfortunately, few if any will try natural anti-inflammatory remedies.

For all it's worth, I've talked to both Dr. Walters (a pioneer in the field of RLS) and Dr. Weinstock. I told them that I was thinking of writing a book and asked if they would like to participate. Their position as scientists prevents them from co-writing a "real world" book, but they both support the idea wholeheartedly. In fact, Dr. Walters has offered to write a forward, and Dr. Weinstock has offered to write a chapter from a scientific perspective.

If they had ANY suspicions that I was on the wrong track, they wouldn't have made those offers.

And just a reminder to all of you that scientists already know that anti-inflammatories can lessen RLS symptoms. The problem is that the NSAIDs (pharmaceutical anti-inflammatories) they use often create horrible side-effects.

Here is an excerpt from the NY Times Health website:

"Although NSAIDs work well, long-term use can cause stomach problems, such as ulcers and bleeding, and possible heart problems. In April 2005, the Food and Drug Administration asked drug manufacturers of NSAIDs to include a warning label on their product that alerts users of an increased risk for heart-related problems and digestive tract bleeding."

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides ... tions.html