New Neurologist is GREAT!

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Andreadrea

New Neurologist is GREAT!

Post by Andreadrea »

I went to see a new neurologist after having MANY difficulties with my previous one. The previous one said I couldn't have augmentation after a month on Mirapex. The new one said, when I described the symptoms, "that sounds like augmentation, let me explain what that is." (I told him I could probably explain it to him!). He agrees that I should get intermittent medical leave for flare-ups, and we agreed on up to 4 days a month. The previous neuro said "RLS is not an indication for medical leave." I need to do some paperwork now, but the process is started. Now when I have an aggravation of symptoms, I can use vacation or other saved time off, rather than just sick time!

I told him I hate the Klonopin, so we are trying Vicodin the next time I have symptoms. He also mentioned that another of my medications, Librax, can sometimes aggravate symptoms, so I will be going off that this weekend.

The experience I had was fantastic, and such a marked difference from my prior doctor. He was friendly, was not condescending, and we had a great conversation about brain chemicals, etc. We have a plan for the next six months, including re-checks of my ferritin (the other doctor said "I don't follow that, that is primary care's job"), monthly email check-ins, and getting me on intermittent FMLA (medical leave). I am SO HAPPY!!

Andrea

P.S. He laughed when I brought in the nearly full bottles of Klonopin, Vicodin, and Ambien, and said "I wanted to show you these so you would know I'm not a drug seeker!" In 6 months, I've only used 2 Klonopin pills (at 1/4 pill at a time), and after a gallbladder surgery last year I only took 1 vicodin at home. I'm extremely cautious with meds because I'm 20+ years clean and sober, and really want to stay that way.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Andrea, this is wonderful.
What a weight you must feel has been lifted off your shoulders.... there is hope.... and a neurologist who understands at last.

This gives hope to everyone who needs help.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wow, a post like yours makes me feel hopeful for all of us. That is such wonderful news.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Reminds us there are great doctors out there.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Thank heavens,now your life will begin to return to normal,and if any problems come up, you have a doc who can address the situation. My family doc at the time pegged RLS right away and gave me opiates,which I still take. My neuro, however, is always reluctant to increase them, but he does it after sighing. But the thing that is in my favor with the neuro now is, HE developed RLS, so I imagine after a couple more years on the Mirapex he's taking, he won't be so reluctant to increase whatever the hell I'm on. (He gives me other stuff he hates to increase, too, for overall body pain from my busted up back and busted up foot,etc.). And I only ask for increases every three years or so, if that. So, I've decided to count FIVE YEASRS before I ask for ANYTHING MORE, and that way I can tell him, "Doc, do you realize it's been FIVE YEARS since I asked for an increase? Hell, I'm only gonna live another five, if I'm lucky!" (I'm 60, gonna die when I'm 70, according to the "spirits.") Hahahahaha. But he is a good neuro otherwise and I like him a lot. SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! GG
"It's not how old you are; it's how awful you feel."