Hip replacement surgery and worsening of RLS

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
carolsond

Hip replacement surgery and worsening of RLS

Post by carolsond »

I have had my right hip replaced about a month ago and I've had severe RLS about 25 years. Since I've had my hip replaced, however, my RLS has gotten quite a bit worse. I now have it almost 24/7. I have had to take 3 Tylenol/Codeine pills last night. in order to get any sleep. I woke up this morning about 5:30 A.M. and the RLS was going full blast. I've never had that trouble before my surgery. I have an appointment to see my Sleep Disorders doctor on 8/17 and I don't know what he's going to come up with as far as giving me any relief from this horrible crap. Has anyone experienced the increased worsening of RLS because of a hip or knee replacement? The only relief I really get is a couple of hours after breakfast. Otherwise, the RLS has been bothering me continually 24/7. I feel I just can't take it any more. It's just too much for me to bear, however, what am I supposed to do? I feel like I'm living in Hell right now-ugh! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

If after the hip replacement they gave you drugs to take that you're still on, it could very well be something like an antihistimine is in it, and that will trigger terrible RLS. But if you're not taking anymore drugs from you op, then could be more physical therapy is in order for you.

But I can give you a tip that MIGHT help calm down your RLS enough to where you can sleep, until your August appointment, and that's to get compression stockings, knee-highs ought to do it, and pull those on when you get ready to go to bed, and something about how it keeps the muscles tight should allow you to fall asleep.
"It's not how old you are; it's how awful you feel."

carolsond

RLS worsening after hip replacement

Post by carolsond »

Hi!

Thanks for your feedback regarding the worsening of my RLS after my hip replacement.

I do put compression socks on before I go to bed. For the first 3 weeks after my surgery, I had to wear them 24 hours, however, now it's just at night. They don't seem to make that much difference. Maybe I need a more supportive type of stocking. I'll have to ask my surgeon when I see him in August.

I am taking an iron supplement because my blood count was down, however, that doesn't seem to be making any difference either. Maybe I need to be taking them longer so the iron can get into my blood stream.

Carol Ann

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Iron can takes months to work. How many tablets at what strength are you taking?

Blood loss during surgery can definitely cause WED/RLS to worsen temporarily. There also may be other factors, as surgery often causes problems, but they aren't sure about all the factors.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

carolsond

Worsening of RLS after hip replacaement surgery

Post by carolsond »

Hi!

I'm taking 150 poly iron - 1 daily.

I'm going to ask my surgeon on my followup appointment with him on 8/8 if that's an adequate dose. The doctor at the Short Stay Care Center prescribed the iron for me.

I think surgery is stressful on the body and mind and the stress may have made the RLS worse. I know that stress can definitely worsen RLS.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That's a good typical dosage - I wonder if it would help to be tested and if you're still low, see if the doctor would approve an infusion? Any time we are anemic, WED/RLS is often much worse. Stopping the anemia quickly would seem to me to be important....but, I'm not a doctor!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

This study found ferrous sulphate is absorbed better than iron polysaccharide:

Nephron. 1996;74(2):291-4.
Oral iron absorption test in patients on CAPD: comparison of ferrous sulfate and a polysaccharide ferric complex.
Tinawi M, Martin KJ, Bastani B.

You might want to ask about getting something that is absorbed better. I think ferrous fumarate is absorbed even better.

Take vitamin C with your iron to increase its effectiveness.

My RLS was bearable before my knee surgery (ACL replacement) and became unbearable afterward. This is a common refrain and might have to do with the blood loss, but no one has pinpointed it.

Don;'t forget to wave a copy of the RLSF Medical Bulletin around. Codeine is not enough for you! And what's up with making you take a drug you don't need, all that acetominophen?

Better still, don't forget to impress on your doctor how little sleep you're getting and that your quality of life has evaporated.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

carolsond

Worsening of RLS after hip replacement surgery

Post by carolsond »

Hi!

Thanks for your input re: your knee replacement surgery and that your RLS was also worse after your surgery. I don't feel so alone in this regard.

Thanks also for letting me know that an iron infusion or ferrous sulfate is more effective than the poly iron I'm now taking. Also, advising me to take vitamin C. I'll certainly try that.

I will mention to my doctor that I don't get enough sleep and it's definitely having a negative impact on my quality of life.

Carol Ann

carolsond

Worsening of RLS after hip replacement surgery

Post by carolsond »

Hi!

Sorry I meant ferrous fumerate = not ferrous sulfate.

Carol Ann

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Anybody who has Restless Legs problems should eat free-range hen EGGS from the health food store a few times a week. Some farm's eggs will taste lots better than others. Eggs have Iron, Vit A & Zinc, which help the Iron along too, the Omega-3 helps RLS directly, and then the good part is it has Magnesium in it and THAT helps RLS directly AND makes sleep easier! I might add for those who have familial RLS, eggs have Folic Acid and B12 (helps Folic Acid work), which helps those people's RLS.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

dogeyed wrote:Anybody who has Restless Legs problems should eat free-range hen EGGS from the health food store a few times a week. Some farm's eggs will taste lots better than others. Eggs have Iron, Vit A & Zinc, which help the Iron along too, the Omega-3 helps RLS directly, and then the good part is it has Magnesium in it and THAT helps RLS directly AND makes sleep easier! I might add for those who have familial RLS, eggs have Folic Acid and B12 (helps Folic Acid work), which helps those people's RLS.

We get ours from a farmer who lets them roam around the backyard. If I buy store eggs, the difference in the color of the yolks is amazing! The store egg yolks are pale yellow and the free-range yolks are dark orange-yellow. Guess which one is more nutritious?

Also, I read in Michael Pollan's book that 25% of laying hens kill themselves because they are so depressed about being trapped in the cramped cages. They rub up against the chicken wire until they rub off all their feathers and skin. So at least if I buy eggs at the store, they are ALWAYS free-range. I think those yolks are closer to the farmer's but still not as deeply colored.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

carolsond

Eggs from the farmer - more nutritious for RLS

Post by carolsond »

Hi!

I wish I could get the eggs from the farmer. This is out of the question. I don't know any farmers that raise hens. Your fortunate!

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I didn't think I did, either! It turned out the wife of a guy my mom works with raises chickens. They are like pets to her. Now we get eggs $1 a dozen and they are so good!

You might try http://www.localharvest.org to find a farmer near you. It's worth it.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

dogeyed

Post by dogeyed »

Carolsond,
I don't know where you live, but in the U.S., most cities have a "health food store," where you can buy organic vegetables, free-range chicken eggs, various herbs and teas, vitamins, and 50 million other "new age" and "green" items. Even the smaller health food stores will usually have a refrigerated section with the eggs there. There are some grocery stores that specifically only sell organic stuff, sometimes they'll have names like "Whole Foods" attached to it. And some REGULAR stores will sometimes carry "free-range" or "cage-free" eggs. The reason for free-range eggs is because it's the pecking around in regular dirt that causes the eggs to have some of their nutrients that I listed in them.

I could buy mine right up the road, we live in the county, and there's a sign out in front of the house where they keep chickens and goats in their field. Really, anywhere there's a farm and you can see animals being kept, there will amost always be chickens, and some of those folks will put a sign out front. There are also organic farms here and there, some of them sell eggs.
GG

carolsond

Worsening of RLS due to hip replacement

Post by carolsond »

Thanks for your suggestions regarading Health Foods Stores. We have the Good Earth here and also the grocery store I shop at has an organic foods section.