RLS and acupuncture

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
carolsond

RLS and acupuncture

Post by carolsond »

Has anyone tried acupuncture for their RLS? Did it help relieve the RLS sytmptoms?

I am so sick and tired of putting up with horrible side effects from the RLS medications. I just feel it just isn't worth it even if I have to put up with the RLS. I had to take about 3 Tylenol/Codeins pills last night to get my RLS calmed down enough to be able to get some sleep. They did take the edge off of the pain, however, I had a very bad stomache today from the medication. I'm sure the stronger opoids have even more serious and unpleasant side effects to contend with. I'm not getting enough sleep either and consequently, my quality of life is zilch. What a horrible devastating disease to have to put up with the rest of my life and it'll more than likely just get worse. I recently had hip replacement surgery and my RLS got much worse after the surgery= unbearable to say the least. I guess that can happen after surgery although I had a radical hysterectomy 2 years ago and my RLS never got this bad after my surgery. Maybe it depends on the kind of surgery.

I live alone and have very few if any friends. They were nice to me right after I got back from the Rehab Center. Now I haven't seen orheard from any of them which really depresses me. I take Wellbrutin, an antidepressant which doesn't aggravate RLS - the only one that I know of that doesn't. However, I've been taking it about 8 years now and I believe it has lost some of its effectiveness and I seem to be more depressed. I feel really hopeless. My Psych doctor just keeps prescribing Wellbrutin. I told him that I was more depressed and he didn't seem to be that concerned. I took a depression assessment before my appointment and I scored mild to moderately depressed. I took cymbalta and effexor and both of them just aggrvated my RLS something terrible. So I feel like I'm in a Catch 22 situation.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Sorry you are feeling so depressed. I understand how that feels.

After your hip surgery, and your RLS/WED got so much worse. It could have been caused by something they gave you (medications). Such as an anti-nauseates, anti-histamine or others that will aggravate RLS/WED.

It is a miserable life trying to live with RLS/WED. No one would ever understand unless they had it themselves. For 40 years I have had no quality of life. I just exist.

Take care of yourself the best you can.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Carolsond,

I am hoping you find some relief soon.

While Wellbutrin is the only one known not to aggravate WED/RLS, many times the others ones do not. While you tried 2 that did, there are many other ones to try. it's so hard to be persistent when you're depressed and with a doctor, to boot, isn't it? Well, it is for me! It's also hard to want to try something new when you've only had bad outcomes so far. But, it's very possible that one of the other drugs will help you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Carolsond, I'm sorry things are so bad for you at present. Sometimes I have a bit of a rant and then realise that others are worse off than me. Looks like you need to talk firmly with your doctor about your AD and seek the help you deserve to lift your depression.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

I'd like to echo what Viewsaskew said. There are lots of opioids to try, and in all liklihood one will work for you without side effects. With your WED properly controlled, your depression might not be so bad. Probably you scored mild to moderate even though you feel really low because you have a good reason to feel low, which is your uncontrolled WED, rather than a clinical depression. Your focus should be the WED.

I'm taking an extended-release version of hydromorphone, called hydromorph contin, and I get almost no side effects from it (it keeps me awake so I need a mild sleeping pill too).

It's hard to see things in a realistic light when you're depressed, but remember that all depressions end, they come and go and do their own thing but they always end eventually.

Do you think your doctor will move you to a stronger opioid if you reveal to him just how bad your WED is?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

sleepdancer

Acupuncture

Post by sleepdancer »

Acupuncture is something that I've wanted to try, but have not as of yet due to my insurance coverage and the co-pays. A physician who did an EMG on me once told me that if the EMG helped my symptoms, it was an indicator that acupunture might be helpful. I slept great the night after the EMG. If money ever allows, I will RUN to an acupuncturist. I'm sure whether it will help depends on the source and severity of symptoms. If you decide to try it, please report back.

carolsond

acupuncture for RLS

Post by carolsond »

My insurance will NOT cover acupuncture either.

I don't know if I could have acupuncture because I recently had hip surgery.
I need to ask my surgeon if acupuncture would be O.K. to have for my RLS.

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

ive kind of read the msgs as my concentration is poor just now.

my rls is fine just now if it flares i take codeine phosphate 30/60mg which i find enuf to calm it down to sleep.

acupuncture i find works get it feet , ankles and hands and this helps the rls in fact takes it away now only need a couple of sessions every few months, i have been going for bout two years now i think.......but over here i get it for nothing.

hope this helps and you get relief

moonlight

ps on sleep side of things i have bipolar and so very erratic sleep but the last ten days have slept like a baby.......the street lights been out....so have made blackouts for my window ......sleep still good....feel so much better considering am in depressive episode just now

thinking light plays a big part in our sleep cycle ...maybe wrong
sleep is not only a dream

badnights

Post by badnights »

thinking light plays a big part in our sleep cycle ...maybe wrong
think you're right
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

carolsond

ELS and acupunxrue

Post by carolsond »

Hi Beth,

I'm glad your RLS is better amd tje aci[imctire did help. You're fortunate you don't have to pay anything for it.

I'm not sure being that I had hip replacement surgery if I can have acupuncture. I'll have to mention it to my orthopedic surgeon when I see him on 8/8/11.

Take care!

Carol Ann

Andreadrea

Post by Andreadrea »

Acupuncture helps my WED a bit. I go every week or two, for other reasons, but I find that if I miss it for a month or so, the WED gets much worse.