Foot movements of preborn babies

For everything and anything else not covered in the other RLS sections.
Leonne

Foot movements of preborn babies

Post by Leonne »

I was watching the special on gestating babies the other day. One thing that was made clear, the legs of a baby has to move or they will not develop. Until 8 weeks the leg movement is a reflex movement. The nerves from the brain are not attached until after 8 weeks. Is it possible that RLS is caused when the nerve does attach, the other stimula does not stop so the legs continue to move on their own?

Any Ideas?

Leonne

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hey, Leonne.

Nice to see you on the forum.

I don't have anything intelligent to say about the subject, but what an interesting question!!!! :D

Sara

becat

Howdy All

Post by becat »

Howdy Leonne and Miss Sara,
Honestly, it's a good question. I tend to think it is still an iron issue for most and how we use it or not. But you never know.
You know I never thought about this in this manner before. BUT.......This is one thing I remember like it was yesterday and it was almost 18 yrs ago.
Some of the women here may agree, I don't know.
When pregnant with my son,( the eldest is a bonus child, someone else got the strecth marks for him.) He was a night time kiddo even inside me. With the exception of railroad tracks and waistbands on my pants......drive over railroad tracks and for sure it would create a disapproving kick or 3, 4...Certain waistbands on my pants would drive him nuts. Several times a day he'd roll the band away from him.
BUT the night was his time to come to terms with the little space he lived in.
Every Night around 10:oo pm this boy would try to run inside of me. It got worse when I layed down. Now my sister in law was pregnant at the same time and her girl was a daytime runner.
My question to your's is along the same lines. Can we really have it at or before birth? Thinking back I really wonder if his nighttime activity was normal baby stunts or partially RLS already starting to develop?
HMMMMMMMM Leonne, I love your questions, they make me think just a tad bit harder.
Love and hugs to all.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Now I'M saying "hmmmm", too, Becat.

Will have to ask my hubby what he remembers about the one with RLS. As a baby, he never slept well. Woke up screaming 3-5 times per night for the first 18 months, and needed lots of comforting and cuddling. I know what PART of that was, and it WASN'T RLS, because we "fixed" it later. But his sleep patterns were always different, and he always was an 'early to bed' guy.

Can't recall his "habits" in utero, though. Hubby might.

As for the theory about developmental issues... I'm not sure that even the docs know enough about the presence/transfer/utilization of brain chemicals to really understand what's going on with our iron/dopamine situations-- or why. If they did, I think they'd be much more effective in treating/controlling brain chemical disorders (and LOTS of illnesses and conditions have a brain chemical genesis or component!!!) I wonder if someday medicine WILL really understand it, or not? :?

Hugs to you both. Sara :D